Gibson Brands Forums

Current vs early Firebird pick ups

SteveFord

A bit down the road I'm going to replace the Firebirds that I sold off. I had an 05 VII and a 2007 V - how do the current pick ups compare to the earlier ones? I don't want to buy anything that is stupidly hot sounding. I don't think that's the case but does anyone have experience with the current versus the older Firebirds?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2013 bird. I like the pickups . They have the humbucker sound but are a little bit more honky sounding ,like a fender or p90. I don't think they are too hot sounding at all. I do get a little ringing sound from them though that can be heard with the amp volume up and the pickup volume up higher. I don't know how to describe it. I never heard it before on any other of my guitars. it doesn't sound like typical feedback sound or not a buzz or hum,but kind of a ring. It doesn't bother me though and doesn't interfere with anything. It can be heard like I say with the volumes up higher when I am not playing it or plucking or strumming. Other wise the pickups seem quite capable or doing what a regular humbucker does but they also can sound a little honky like a fender tele or p90. Not single coil sounding though,just that honky type tone with the humbucker snarl at the same time if that makes any sense.

All I can offer is a [thumbup] for my '08 Firebird V

One of the last 'banjo' runs

IMO worth a look/listen at Seymour Duncan's dedicated Firebird options

Between Gibson and Seymour Duncan there are IMO choices to suit most, if not all Firebird aficionados...

V

:-({|=

• 5 months later...

I work at a guitar center and I was able to put a set of SD antiquities II Firebird Pups in my 2014 and compare the two.

The Gibson ones have more fullness but less of the Johnny Winter Honk to them. I did some testing and found if you lower them dowm a bit away from the strings the Gibson ones did give a bit of a different flavor I don't dislike them as much as some people have, I think they do a good job and still has a nice place between my 58 VOS LP and my 81 Strat.

The SD antiquities are very very close to the original J WInter sound and I was amazed at how much of a cool *** tone they get. They are quite a bit less output so you may not get the push like the stock Gibson ones but damn do they have a cool tone to them.

In the end I kept the SD's in mine but I have the stock ones around in case my attitude and needs change with a new band of something. I figure if I need something beefier then that's where my LP comes in.

Hope t helps.

I played a couple firebirds v guitars prior to the new mini buckers they are using now (pre 2013 I think) and they were ok but never quite sold me on them. I have a 50th Anny model jut it's made of mahogany and more 2013 spec with the mini humbucker, it's one of my favorite guitars at this point. I love it

Archived