Gibson Brands Forums

New Family Member

Dave F

Just got a new 2013 LP Standard yesterday from one of the big box stores.

I sort of missed the '68 RI custom I sold last year but I wanted something lighter and I did not get used to the tri burst.

The finish needed cleaning off.

When I tuned it up the G string broke.

The neck had a .030" bow in it.

The knobs were making static.

Put a new string on it, tuned it up, cleaned it, adjusted the truss rod, sat down with it unplugged and worked all the knobs and switches for about 20 minutes.

After the truss rod adjustment everything seemed to fall in place and nothing else needed adjustment.

Now it's perfect in every way.

The BurstBucker Pro's aren't exactly like my '57 Humbuckers but close enough. The splitters and by passes are a plus.

The neck profile and compound fret radius are nice.

The 8.6 lbs vs. my '68 RI 10.6 is nice.

Overall I'm 100% satisfied with it.

The picture below is before I restrung and adjusted everything.

photo_zpsa237ef74.jpg

Just got a new 2013 LP Standard yesterday from one of the big box stores.

I sort of missed the '68 RI custom I sold last year but I wanted something lighter and I did not get used to the tri burst.

The finish needed cleaning off.

When I tuned it up the G string broke.

The neck had a .030" bow in it.

The knobs were making static.

Put a new string on it, tuned it up, cleaned it, adjusted the truss rod, sat down with it unplugged and worked all the knobs and switches for about 20 minutes.

After the truss rod adjustment everything seemed to fall in place and nothing else needed adjustment.

Now it's perfect in every way.

The BurstBucker Pro's aren't exactly like my '57 Humbuckers but close enough. The splitters and by passes are a plus.

The neck profile and compound fret radius are nice.

The 8.6 lbs vs. my '68 RI 10.6 is nice.

Overall I'm 100% satisfied with it.

The picture below is before I restrung and adjusted everything.

photo_zpsa237ef74.jpg

Beautiful guitar you got there... glad you were able to get it squared away. HNGD!!

Sweet, but it sounds like you did a lot to get it up to snuff where it should have been when you bought it. Glad it worked out in the end for you. What do you think about the sounds with the push-pull switching?

I need to play with it more to give a better opinion but here's my initial impression -

In normal setting it sounds close to my '57 pups

Treble pup -splitter gives a lot brighter bark with a little distort

Rhythm pup - Less volume out of this one initially and the splitter does not affect it as much

Bypass - I was a little surprised that it bypasses the volume and tone. Don't know if I care for it. My Tele splitter only bypasses the tone switch.

Damn nice looking guitar! Kinda weird it needed all that but you sorted that out so no biggie imo.

Killer picture of it too, minus the bits of background clutter ;-)

The work was not that big of a deal since I work on my own and my friends all the time doing setups. The think I liked is one I adjusted the neck the bridge and nut setups were perfect to my liking.

I'll get a better picture away from my work table and clutter later on. I took this one with my phone.

I've got a Tele with the flamed maple I'm going to compare to.

Damn nice looking guitar! Kinda weird it needed all that but you sorted that out so no biggie imo.

Killer picture of it too, minus the bits of background clutter ;-)

The work was not that big of a deal since I work on my own and my friends all the time doing setups. The think I liked is one I adjusted the neck the bridge and nut setups were perfect to my liking.

I'll get a better picture away from my work table and clutter later on. I took this one with my phone.

Right on! I'm diggin the carpet backdrop, it complements the burst top colors without distracting from you guitar.

Some more picts

lp_std_zpsfd5b672a.jpg

lp-std-2_zps497f3f31.jpg

Nice looking guitar! I got a 2013 in December and really like it. The only changes Ii made so far is adding strap locks. I'm also conidering replacing the nut with a bone or Tusq nut. That's still up for debate though. Congrats on the purchase. Which colo is that?

Nice looking guitar! I got a 2013 in December and really like it. The only changes Ii made so far is adding strap locks. I'm also conidering replacing the nut with a bone or Tusq nut. That's still up for debate though. Congrats on the purchase. Which colo is that?

Desert Burst

Archived