Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 Custom

jw3571

I'm considering getting a J200 Custom Mystic Rosewood. Supposedly only 20 of these were made? What are people's opinion of these? I think they are beautiful with all of the abalone trim. Does anyone on here have one, if so can you describe the tone? Would this be a good compliment to my AJ and Hummingbird or are they redundant.

I actually have two at the moment: a Natural and a Sunburst. (My wife should never let me

out of the house with a loaded credit card.) Tone-wise, they are essentially the same as

the J-200 Custom which has the normal Indian Rosewood. In fact, the Mystic is just a variation

of Indian Rosewood so the tone should be the same. One dealer described Mystic as Indian

"Stump Wood" because it comes from the stumps of Indian Rosewood trees. Whether that is true

or not is up for debate. It sure looks unique.

A rosewood Super Jumbo is about as far away as you can get from a Hummingbird and is closer to the

AJ. If you are looking for something different tone-wise, I would consider a Super Jumbo in

maple. Much brighter tone.

I'm considering getting a J200 Custom Mystic Rosewood. Supposedly only 20 of these were made? What are people's opinion of these? I think they are beautiful with all of the abalone trim. Does anyone on here have one, if so can you describe the tone? Would this be a good compliment to my AJ and Hummingbird or are they redundant.

Do people find J200's to be good looking guitars. Do people think they have a real country western vibe to them?

I have a standard and the rosewood Custom. The rosewood is one of if not the favorite one of my herd.

My wife calls it my glitter guitar

IMG_0391_zps059d2e2e.jpg

I have the boots, I have the hat, I have the guitar. But, I don't think I know any country western songs. [crying] I had often avoided the J-200 because of the rather stand outish appearance, until I really got the chance to play one, now it's in my stable.

I have the boots, I have the hat, I have the guitar. But, I don't think I know any country western songs. [crying] I had often avoided the J-200 because of the rather stand outish appearance, until I really got the chance to play one, now it's in my stable.

Don't you play a lot of John Denver music Dan? I would think a lot of his music would be considered as falling into the country western category despite the fact that he didn't dress much like the gentleman pictured a couple of posts above

Don't you play a lot of John Denver music Dan? I would think a lot of his music would be considered as falling into the country western category despite the fact that he didn't dress much like the gentleman pictured a couple of posts above

JD is considered CW ? Ok ! Then I do know some country western songs. Get to cross that off the to do list. The most fun I've had lately is lugging my J-200 up to a mountain hut and playing an hour of John's songs songs in a mountain setting for a bunch of Aussie ladies in town for John Denver week, what a blast that was - they sang along, knew all the words, so the pressure was off. The J-200 was perfect for the songs, loud enough to project into the mountains. Mine is Maple, wondering now if a guy needs to add a Rosewood J-200? The answer of course being, yes, why not?

Inspiration_zps07e53252.jpg

Dear jesus help us.

Please don't start raggin'n on Tater. He's in his 90's and is big part of country music history.

He was close friends with Hank Sr. and tells the story when he was on a flight with Hank and asked him to write a song for him.

While on the plane, Hank wrote a song, looked it over and told him it was too good to give away.

Hank gave him the nickname Tater.

JD is considered CW ? Ok ! Then I do know some country western songs. Get to cross that off the to do list. The most fun I've had lately is lugging my J-200 up to a mountain hut and playing an hour of John's songs songs in a mountain setting for a bunch of Aussie ladies in town for John Denver week, what a blast that was - they sang along, knew all the words, so the pressure was off. The J-200 was perfect for the songs, loud enough to project into the mountains. Mine is Maple, wondering now if a guy needs to add a Rosewood J-200? The answer of course being, yes, why not?

Inspiration_zps07e53252.jpg

Can't beat that story with a stick. I'm waiting for the next patch of clear warm weather so I can do some sunrise pickin' on one of the hills here in the front range.

FMA...thanks for the info on Jimmy Dickens. The name is familiar, but his music is not familiar to me. I didn't come into country music until the days of Merle, Waylon, and Wille which I believe would be a few years later down the road

Please don't start raggin'n on Tater. He's in his 90's and is big part of country music history.

He was close friends with Hank Sr. and tells the story when he was on a flight with Hank and asked him to write a song for him.

While on the plane, Hank wrote a song, looked it over and told him it was too good to give away.

Hank gave him the nickname Tater.

Dave,

You forgot the punchline. The song Hank Sr wrote then refused to give Tater was a little dittie called Hey Good Lookin' Whatcha Got Cookin'?

I seem to remember that song.

FMA

Dave,

You forgot the punchline. The song Hank Sr wrote then refused to give Tater was a little dittie called Hey Good Lookin' Whatcha Got Cookin'?

I seem to remember that song.

FMA

Thanks, I coudn't remember which classic it was. I like the video on YouTube where he tells June Carter he wrote it just for her.

Archived