Gibson Brands Forums

Song of the Week

MorrisrownSal

Don't think I managed to kick this, exactly, but I said I'd give it a whirl and so I have. Played possum around the higher parts 'cuz of throat problems, so it's truer than ever that my style is the product of my (considerable) limitations--

[biggrin]

Still, I had fun, and this is a great song...Good find, Sal.

Icy Blue Heart

Hey, where's everyone else??

BUMP .... I wanna here some more versions!

Been out of pocket for a while and just wanted to comment:

Sal ..... you are indeed the King of songs, know and obscure. Thanks again for turning the forum on to an oldie goldie .... I found Emmylou's version on an old album of her's. In that case, it was sorta (in my mind at the time) a filler in "Bluebird" .... backup vocals by Bonnie Raitt (hard to beat that). Frankly it stands out with the two versions here unlike on the album at the time. I thought your version was wonderful ... loved the great strumming right at the song .... I also like anything you sing .... good work.

Anne ..... fixin' to say something that may never have, nor never again, come from these lips ..... I liked your version better than Emmylou's! Take that as high parise coming from this house. Great how you kept it low, laid back ... teased us by picking it up a bit ...... and then pulling back again to really capture the feeling and essence of the scene. Gee what a wonderful song and story about something that takes place in a bar in about the same amount of time as it takes to sing the song. Great Job!

Hope others will try and that's one reason I'm bumping it back up. Before I disappeared, I was working on my own version, laid back and finger patterned picked .... never got it just right nor recorded. So I'm back among the living and hear Anne's laid back version and thought now what can I do ? ..... ummmm? It struck me to ask the question us bama boys often ask "How would Waylon sing it? LOL. The Answer is with a Tele and a five piece band starin' at his back .... to include a moanful steel string. Hey a tasteful acoustic slide in exactly the riight places would be great here ..... lots of empty space available. So I changed some words, tried a couple of different time sigs, countryfied it (everything I sing sounds country anyway) and GOD it was awful. But Waylon could have pulled it off

As an aside ..... Hank did it best on this subject with Cold, Cold, Heart.

So come on folks, the week is over but this is a great song ...More versions, please!

Thanks brother! Bummed we didn't attract more interest? I would lived to have seen some of the gang weigh in.

Maybe we should all just pick up Martins and play Peaceful Easy Feeling?

Not much point insulting people just because they don't want to play your game. No interest means just that - people weren't interested. Make a more interesting post, or pick a more interesting song. Live with the results. Offending forum members isn't going to get you closer to the attention level you would be satisfied with.

Anne made a valiant effort there and I love her voice, the vibrato...

Unfortunately even she can't save this song. The lyrics are trite and obvious, the melody is far from memorable. Is there even a melody? It's kind of vague. The narrative, such as it is, is ponderous and leaves me far from thawed. Next!

Not much point insulting people just because they don't want to play your game. No interest means just that - people weren't interested. Make a more interesting post, or pick a more interesting song. Live with the results. Offending forum members isn't going to get you closer to the attention level you would be satisfied with.

I

Attention level? You don't get it, and you have the world's thinnest skin. Make no mistake I am not here to amuse you or entertain you, and I have no disillusionment of my skill and singing level... This is a hobby for me, and sharing it is usually enjoyable. So, with the greatest respect, I would like to suggest where you can shove your picking thumb. I also suggest you block my posts; I will do that for yours now.

Nice Sal and Ann .....give that negative comment no mind many are interested I know I'm interested , just cause I don't have the time to work and post a "entry" these forays into an unknown to me song let me try them even if I don't post "my version" hell didn't even have a sound cloud acct. until you qued up "Carmilita"!!! I'm getting there brother...

Keep them comming Sal maybe I will get a worthy one worked up and post it....Sal love the tone Yor tracking.....well done.

Archived