Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SG Standard Min-ETune Help???

Jonderdonk

I was very excited about getting a 2013 SG, and I decided to go with the Min-ETune version. I researched it thoroughly, and I didn't see a bad review of it. It looked really cool to me. The guitar plays great, but I've encountered some problems with the Min-ETune. First of all, it is not attached to the headstock by anything substantial; it is stuck onto the headstock by some adhesive. This cheapens the feel of the guitar, but that's beside the point. I was playing one day on my carpeted floor, and the Min-ETune became detached and fell onto the floor. I picked it up, and the adhesive side was full of carpet fibers. I sat down for about 30 minutes and meticulously picked out all of the carpet fibers that I could with a pair of tweezers. Once I reattached it, it promptly fell off again, and I had the same problem. Ever since I had this first problem, it won't stick to the headstock for more than a few minutes. When I press the buttons on it, the thing wobbles back and forth. Some of the adhesive has even started to come off on the back of the headstock. If I could, I would trade this guitar in for a normal 2013 SG without the Min-ETune. I've searched around on the internet for hours, and nobody else seems to have this problem. I also searched for replacement adhesives, but they don't sell any. Am I missing something here??? I'm sure there's probably some ridiculously easy fix that I'm overlooking, but I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks so much,

John

I was very excited about getting a 2013 SG, and I decided to go with the Min-ETune version. I researched it thoroughly, and I didn't see a bad review of it. It looked really cool to me. The guitar plays great, but I've encountered some problems with the Min-ETune. First of all, it is not attached to the headstock by anything substantial; it is stuck onto the headstock by some adhesive. This cheapens the feel of the guitar, but that's beside the point. I was playing one day on my carpeted floor, and the Min-ETune became detached and fell onto the floor. I picked it up, and the adhesive side was full of carpet fibers. I sat down for about 30 minutes and meticulously picked out all of the carpet fibers that I could with a pair of tweezers. Once I reattached it, it promptly fell off again, and I had the same problem. Ever since I had this first problem, it won't stick to the headstock for more than a few minutes. When I press the buttons on it, the thing wobbles back and forth. Some of the adhesive has even started to come off on the back of the headstock. If I could, I would trade this guitar in for a normal 2013 SG without the Min-ETune. I've searched around on the internet for hours, and nobody else seems to have this problem. I also searched for replacement adhesives, but they don't sell any. Am I missing something here??? I'm sure there's probably some ridiculously easy fix that I'm overlooking, but I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks so much,

John

I'll bet that it's just regular two sided foam tape. Take it in for repair under warranty. I'm sure they can re-attach it with new tape. If you don't have a warranty I'm sure any Gibson repair people have that tape and might even give some to you.

PS - you don't need to trade it in for one without Min-ETune, just leave that sucker off.

I'll bet that it's just regular two sided foam tape. Take it in for repair under warranty. I'm sure they can re-attach it with new tape. If you don't have a warranty I'm sure any Gibson repair people have that tape and might even give some to you.

PS - you don't need to trade it in for one without Min-ETune, just leave that sucker off.

Thanks for your help. I got it from guitar center two months ago, and they only have 30 day warranty. Is there an extended warranty beyond that from Gibson itself?

Thanks for your help. I got it from guitar center two months ago, and they only have 30 day warranty. Is there an extended warranty beyond that from Gibson itself?

I assume that means you bought it used as most manufacturers must repair or replace for 12 months on new products and that's without having to submit a warranty card. Still any authorized Gibson repair place should be able to fix that quickly. Until then, just leave that sucker off.

I assume that means you bought it used as most manufacturers must repair or replace for 12 months on new products and that's without having to submit a warranty card. Still any authorized Gibson repair place should be able to fix that quickly. Until then, just leave that sucker off.

I actually bought it new. I've registered the guitar with Gibson, contacted them, and am still waiting to hear back on how to proceed. I'll definitely leave it off until then, but unless I can get a permanent fix for it, I'll likely swap it out for a guitar without a Min-ETune. I realize that I could just leave it off, but it's really annoying to tune manually. The gears make an awful noise and sometimes get stuck when you turn them manually.

you may get more info from the "Tech Guitars and Min-E-Tune" section of this forum.

hope it all works out well for you as SGs are simply GREAT guitars !!

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll move this thread to that section. I really love my SG except for the Min-ETune problem. You're absolutely right, it's a great guitar!

Thanks to you, and everyone else who posted!!!

I actually bought it new. I've registered the guitar with Gibson, contacted them, and am still waiting to hear back on how to proceed. I'll definitely leave it off until then, but unless I can get a permanent fix for it, I'll likely swap it out for a guitar without a Min-ETune. I realize that I could just leave it off, but it's really annoying to tune manually. The gears make an awful noise and sometimes get stuck when you turn them manually.

I agree, take it back, trade it for a non-mini Et00n thingy. That's the only way they'll get the message.

rct

I agree, take it back, trade it for a non-mini Et00n thingy. That's the only way they'll get the message.

rct

If they allow that, that's what I'll do. The Min-ETune was absolutely fantastic when it did work, but I now see it as too much of a liability.

Archived