Gibson Brands Forums

10 easy steps to build a speaker cabinet

daveinspain

That was very cool. It missed a few minor things, like sanding the corners and cutting holes for the handles but overall I liked it a lot. I have no talent for such things though. Mine would probably end up looking like Homer's BBQ pit equivalent [rolleyes]:

homer-bbq.jpg

Built this 2 X 12 cab to practice making dovetail joints. Used solid pine and fender hardware, rolex, and grill cloth but it has two Celestion Vintage 30's in it. The 4 X 12 cab that goes with that JCM800 head was just getting to big and heavy to lug around to gigs. The cabinet looks smaller than it really is in the pic.

8534981651_2436737f34_b.jpg

Nice work guys...I did this for a few years for Fender, Ampeg, and Seymour Duncan. Not to mention most of the big speaker cabinet companies, Cerwin Vega, Radio Shack, Altec Lansing, Infinity Systems and M&K of Beverly Hills. You did some good looking work... you can be proud.

Surf, Riffster, CJ........magnificent work !! [woot]

Surf, those corners look great to me, but you could always "guard" them if they bug you enough.

after I finish the 2 guitar builds I have in the works, a custom cab should be my next venture....I have access to all the shop-tools needed at work, including a planer, finger-joint cutter, and fullscale mill for dovetailing.

perhaps a summer project......

EDIT: Surf, I LOVE the simplicity of your panel !!!

tone/volume/and the all important "master".

it doesn't get any better than that!!

EDIT: Surf, I LOVE the simplicity of your panel !!!

tone/volume/and the all important "master".

it doesn't get any better than that!!

Thanks that's a hot-rodded Champ style circuit a friend built for me. I generally use a KT66 in it. I dime the master and volume and just use one of my attenuators if I need to cut the overall volume a bit. Probably my favorite amp to play (this week anyway) [biggrin]

Nice work guys...I did this for a few years for Fender, Ampeg, and Seymour Duncan. Not to mention most of the big speaker cabinet companies, Cerwin Vega, Radio Shack, Altec Lansing, Infinity Systems and M&K of Beverly Hills. You did some good looking work... you can be proud.

So yer the guy that made the carpet covered CVs weigh like, a tonne or so?

rct

I work at a cabinet company so a guitar cab would be no problem for me to knock out. I think I might copy your idea Riffster and turn my ac4 into stack with maybe a 2x12 cab

Where do you guys buy hardware for your amp/cab builds?

You can find, tolex, corners, etc on eBay, there are also places like MojoTone and Antique Electronic Supply (Tubes and More).

Awesome, thanks Riffster!

And I'm sure I've already said this before but your work here looks so cool!

Surfpup - if you're unsatisfied with the corners, I think some of those plastic or metal corners would look nice. The black plastic ones would go with an Orange-style aesthetic. Is it cutting and sanding the corners sharply, or tolexing the corners which is giving you trouble?

Surfpup - if you're unsatisfied with the corners, I think some of those plastic or metal corners would look nice. The black plastic ones would go with an Orange-style aesthetic. Is it cutting and sanding the corners sharply, or tolexing the corners which is giving you trouble?

I bought corner protectors but didn't round the corner enough for them to fit properly. I probably shoulda checked before I put on the Tolex. Ultimately I don't really care - it works fine and looks pretty good - but getting the Tolex cut perfectly on the corners was what gave me trouble.

Archived