Gibson Brands Forums

No More ABB

Karloff

I've seen 'em a bunch! Seen 'em with Dickey Betts & Warren Haynes, Jack Pearson & Warren Haynes, and Derek Trucks & Warren Haynes... All great versions...

Before that I saw The Gregg Allman Band with Dangerous Dan Toler, he was pretty exceptional too...

But yes it just won't be the same without The ABB! The passing of such an era is very epic and kinda sad...

I always saw alot of parallels between The ABB w/Duane & Dickey and Fleetwood Mac w/Peter & Danny and those are the two bands in a two-way tie as my all time favorite bands!

Glad I got to see one of 'em, even if it was without Duane...

The ABB is my earliest recollection of music I was listening to on the radio. I would listen to The King Biscuit Flour Hour and hear The ABB often, and they were getting some good air-time on my local classic rock radio station giving me ample samples of their brand of Blues/Rock genius!

They were one of my biggest influences in music, period!

The ABB is my earliest recollection of music I was listening to on the radio. I would listen to The King Biscuit Flour Hour and hear The ABB often, and they were getting some good air-time on my local classic rock radio station giving me ample samples of their brand of Blues/Rock genius!

They were one of my biggest influences in music, period!

I was 14 first time i heard the Fillmore East album. had been playing guitar for not quite a year. it was then i realized just how high the bar had been set. i'll be at the Peach Festival this August. not sure if they will add any dates after those shows. sure would like to see Dickey stroll out one last time.

It wasn't the Allmans without Him anyway, so no great loss. I could only hope they'd get the four of them together for one more record. No, wait, they don't want to record. Ok, maybe one more show then. That would be good I guess.

rct

It is interesting to note that the announcement caused a huge demand and brought the Beacon shows up to an astounding 14 nights. 14? I can remember only catching 5 of 7 nights at The Tower in Philly, after they'd done 16 at the Beacon and were headed back up there for another dozen of so. They'd take an entire month of Beacon. Methinks there's a good reason for them to give it up.

Maybe they can get Dickey for a night or three somewhere this year. I'd prolly drive across the country for it if he was ok with it. I just don't think that Butch and Gregg would do it, I really don't.

I'm sorry to see them have to end it, but we are all getting old.

rct

I guess that all good things must come to an end. I've enjoyed all of the lineups of the Allman Brothers from the beginning with Duane and Berry to the last incarnation of the band. I just hope and pray that more footage of shows with Duane surface.

Absolutely. There's gotta be more footage out there

Earlier Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks announced they would leave the Allman Brothers Band at the end of the year. Now Greg Allman says after 2014, thats it for the ABB. I know all things must pass, but... freakin' sad.

That is some bummer news. First time I saw the boys was in Milwaukee in 90 or 91 at the Auditorium. Little Feet opened up and the boys were hot. About half way through the show I relized that Warren Haynes is probably one of the greatest slide players that has ever lived and man the Brotherhood of Light show was trippy!! That was a fun time of my life......going all over the place to see the Dead and the Allman brother play even though the ABB setlist rarely was changed up.

One of my best memories was getting back stage passes when they played at Pine Knob near Pontiac, MI. Much to my dismay Dickey Betts took off right away and I never got to meet him. I did have a beer and had a great conversation with Warren and Allen Woody and got Gregg to sign Highway Call by Dickey Betts and he gave me this look like I was insane but I had to have someone sign it. Once Dickey was kicked out I just didn't have the stomach to see them play anymore but got my fair share of Warren while he played with Bobby Weir and Phil Lesh.

Final thought.. I would love to ask Dickey Betts why he painted his 57 Gold Top red.........

One other cool memory with the boys. Deer Creek 1995.....got to watch them play "True Gravity" for 47 minutes in the second set. That jam contained a drum solo (of course) along with "Mountain Jam" and "Will the Circle be Unbroken". My friend was taping the show and I remember him having to do a tape flip during the True Gravity. I always told him to use the 100 minute tapes but he insisted on the 90's all the time. After that show he never used 90min tapes again. Dicky played on his gorgeous red ES-335 and Warren on the LP.

Archived