Gibson Brands Forums

Well stated......Right On gibson!

vacamartin

That one has been litigated here ad infinitum, and falls under the category of a sleeping dog that we should probably let lie if we want to insure domestic tranquility....

Ahhh, sounds like old age is getting the best of you. Then again, Revolution is the job of the young. They have the time and energy. Hard to disturb domestic tranquility when you need to be in bed by 10:00 p.m.

I'd say that calling it old news is something of an understatement.

I will state, otoh, that it appears that nobody here is quite as picky as the place where I bought my first reeeally good classical guitar where they'd hold their better instruments for a cupla years on grounds that it took that long for woods and glues to reach proper maturity for purchase by a real player.

Actually they are just wooden boxes braced in ways long proven to aid in a combination of strength and vibration. It takes very good - in some cases exceptional - craftsmanship to get it right because no bits of wood are identical. That's true whether higher-end cabinetry or making stringed instruments of any sort. But other than in a shop with only one or several craftsmen making customs with specific variations of what already is known about guitar-making, I think the "biggies" must always match production speed and materials quality with appropriate price points. Even Ferrari streetable vehicles are made with that in mind as opposed to each being a model of its own, regardless that the price of their vehicles is high due to a specific sort of quality goal.

m

Doesnt matter here.... Ren is Gone. This whole thing over wood and how it went about kind of soured me on Gibsons in general... I do like the older ones... but I dont think I would spend to much if any on a new one at this point.. plenty of used ones in the world to be had at a fraction of the new prices..

There are those here far more knowledgeable than I am, but I think that suggesting "old" Gibsons are better crafted than a new one isn't necessarily the case. In the '70s, at least, Gibsons lost much of their rep for quality in much of anything - at least in the circles I ran in which included country saloon bands and old time pickers. Even jazz folks to a large extent.

The "good old" are individual instruments. We don't see the ones that fell apart, were used as oars in canoes or were ruined by time in attics.

I'm in kind of a poor situation because I can't stop off at a guitar store at lunch or weekends because of work schedules, but I'm utterly convinced that one should play a guitar costing more than $500-1,000 before coughing up cash. Even then one is only too likely to find that the really playable instrument he/she just purchased has this or that problem.

I really doubt that today's Gibson of any sort will be all that much "better" or "worse" than three or four years ago, or 20 years ago or 50 years ago - although I ofttimes question quality of woods and their aging after the burst of sales that continues after the folkie era burst upon us and continued even into and through the 1960s.

m

Archived