Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan Super Bowl Ad

duluthdan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clint Eastwood one a few years back was better. I also dont know how I feel about Dylan pitching cars, and buy American, for an Italian car company.

To be fair, there probably isn't any car companies in America that are owned and headed by red indians/Native Americans. An entire country founded on immigration and land theft should surely render that a moot point, no?

Utterly amazed that Bob would agree to be in a Chryler ad (or any carmaker for that reason)

Why? Everyone's for sale, EA.

My mojo respect level has just dipped quite a bit for the man.

Wouldn't an ad-man who understands the lure of roping in a celeb to help sell the goods not respect such a move normally? I'm confused here matey, had some uppity type posted that it would have made more sense than the resident salaes & marketing fella posting it.

Actually ... Listening to old Bob Dylan interviews... Selling cars, underwear, whatever... is Bob Dylan. How many times has he insisted to reporters that he is "a song and dance man". The old interviews are so great to watch... He is so quick with wit to0 - he turns the interviews on the interviewer.

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keKoVznWCGk

Wouldn't an ad-man who understands the lure of roping in a celeb to help sell the goods not respect such a move normally? I'm confused here matey, had some uppity type posted that it would have made more sense than the resident salaes & marketing fella posting it.

I just dont feel he has any reason to do it PM. He has the money, recognition, track record, so unless he has some big ticket item where he needs big, fast cash I dont see a reason for him doing it.

And, if I speak from a marketing perspective, advertising doesnt seem to fit his Bobby Dylan 'aura' that he's created for himself. Why potentially deflate that Aura when its not necessary.

I just dont feel he has any reason to do it PM. He has the money, recognition, track record, so unless he has some big ticket item where he needs big, fast cash I dont see a reason for him doing it.

And, if I speak from a marketing perspective, advertising doesnt seem to fit his Bobby Dylan 'aura' that he's created for himself. Why potentially deflate that Aura when its not necessary.

Does Bill Murray need the cash to advertise Japanese Whisky? or George Clooney to advertise instant coffee, or David Beckham to sell cheap shoddy underpants via H&M? Of course not... Maybe Bob is saving up to try to buy back his soul from the "chief Commander", Maybe he has a awfully expensive lifestyle and could do with a cash injection, maybe he's just reminding folk he's alive in the hope they'll nip out and buy his last album. Who knows....

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just thought it was odd that the main man in here for selling and advertising would be the harshest critic of celebrity endorsements for cash.

I have to say, I found the ad a bit surreal. I had no illusions as to whether or not Bob was for sale but car salesman seemed a bit of a stretch.

This was exactly my response. But then again, it's Dylan, so all bets are off.

I suppose the possibility exists that he actually believes in what he is doing........ (as strange as that seems)

I just thought it was odd that the main man in here for selling and advertising would be the harshest critic of celebrity endorsements for cash.

It usually works that way PM .. ;-)

Besides, Ive always disliked using celebrities in advertising. I find it an easy way out when you dont have a good idea or insight.

What he does is what makes Bob Dylan Bob Dylan. I remember reading once of the general disappointment, at the time, when the faithful were looking for some serious social commentary about The War and Dylan releases Lay Lady Lay. I wouldn't pay to see him today because I think his voice is totally shot and he has a kind of attitude about his fans BUT I also think he is writing some of his greatest songs in his "twilight years'. He is still a musical genius to me and he never fails to surprise and catch the ear.

I wouldn't pay to see him today because I think his voice is totally shot and he has a kind of attitude about his fans BUT I also think he is writing some of his greatest songs in his "twilight years'. He is still a musical genius to me and he never fails to surprise and catch the ear.

Not sure many of us ever listened to Dylan because of his vocal quality. I still remember the first time I heard a record of his (1964), when my reaction to his voice was "WTF?".

Archived