Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan Super Bowl Ad

duluthdan

Not sure many of us ever listened to Dylan because of his vocal quality. I still remember the first time I heard a record of his (1964), when my reaction to his voice was "WTF?".

Isn't having a crappy voice and being a sort of weird spooky looking little character half the lure of Dylan? If he had a magic voice I'm not sure the material would have been as powerful.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love and admire Dylan's voice, , , or voices from the earlier periods. And consider him a very good singer.

However he became too theatrical after Time Out of Mind - that record is the last Bob-bang for me.

Interesting enough Mitchell hit that same nerve in an interview some years after.

But maybe he played a role since the beginning - guess so.

Still - how on earth could he 200 years inside his voice as a 22 years old man. A part of the genius.

Listen to Desolation Row, Serve Somebody or Cold Irons Bound from Time Out of, , , extremely good. . .

This was all about vocal - his position as an artist is waaaay beyond that. . .

PM's right (in my opinion anyway) , his voice being not classical let's say , gives his music a gravitas and a believability . neil Young's the same. Howlin wolf , If they sang like Sinatra or Pavarotti ... Just wouldn't work.

He can however , contrary to popular believe , sing just fine. If anyone doubts have a listen to blind Willie mactell and try to sing along. Theres a range there if he wants it.

Wouldn't an even better debate be how many folk jump on the music of someone as soon as they've karked it? Nobody's heard of/spoken of/listened to Pete Seeger for donkeys years, now he's fitted out for a pine dufflecoat everybody's a #1 fan.

You definitely have a way with words there PM!

Wouldn't an even better debate be how many folk jump on the music of someone as soon as they've karked it? Nobody's heard of/spoken of/listened to Pete Seeger for donkeys years, now he's fitted out for a pine dufflecoat everybody's a #1 fan.

don't want to get too off topic here but...

not sure what traction the album got in your nape of the neck, but stateside (and northeast specifically), Springsteen's We Shall Overcome stoked lots of interest in Seeger and his music. Springsteen still plays a few from that album at his shows.

"So let the Germans make your beer......we'll make your car!"..............................LOL! Fiat now owns that company, so let the Italians make your car.............

Actually, the people who BUILD the cars in Detroit are primarily.......American.

If international ownership, in whole or in part, is used to determine the "nationality" of a company, you will find few large US companies that are actually purely "American".

Welcome to the world of globalized business!

If you are talking about supplying jobs in America, that's another matter entirely. You may consider companies like Honda Motors USA, Toyota USA, and others to be "foreign", but they create a lot of jobs in the US. Then you look at a lot of the big "US" tech companies whose manufacturing operations are in low-cost overseas labor markets......

Tough to be a nationalistic purist in today's world.

Actually, the people who BUILD the cars in Detroit are primarily.......American.

If international ownership, in whole or in part, is used to determine the "nationality" of a company, you will find few large US companies that are actually purely "American".

Welcome to the world of globalized business!

If you are talking about supplying jobs in America, that's another matter entirely. You may consider companies like Honda Motors USA, Toyota USA, and others to be "foreign", but they create a lot of jobs in the US. Then you look at a lot of the big "US" tech companies whose manufacturing operations are in low-cost overseas labor markets......

Tough to be a nationalistic purist in today's world.

Very agreed. Honda is much more American than Apple.

"So let the Germans make your beer......we'll make your car!"..............................LOL! Fiat now owns that company, so let the Italians make your car.............

I think Id prefer if Germans made both the beer and the car..

Actually, leave the beer making to the Czechs.

From our little black hole here in Detroit...I actually thought it was one of the best Ads I'd seen all night (next to the Bud Horsey commercials). Detroit has taken hits from everywhere around the country and world, but we are still BUILDING lots of cars using lots of employees. The Dylan ad surprise the hell out of me, but I also thought it was very interesting compared to all the garbage commercials hat I had to endure last night. Keep those hits a coming [thumbup]

He was selling knickers a few years ago.

Victorias secret if I remember correctly

Perhaps it went something like this:

Manager: Hey Bob, there's an ad agency been in touch, they want to know if you're interested in doing an advert for Victoria's Secrets?

Bob: Yeah, no, not my thing.

Manager: They say will you do it if they pay you a truck load of money and it's just an hour's shooting?

Bob: Not interested. Tell 'em I'm busy and I got plenty of money already.

Manager:They say will you do it if they pay you a truck load of money, it's just an hour's shooting, surrounded by dozens of young women dressed in their underwear the whole shoot?

Bob: Uh, is Thursday good for them?

There's been others. Being from Michigan, Seger comes to mind. He had offers from Ford (Makin' Thunderbirds), Coors (Silver Bullet link), among others, and he went with Chevy (Like A Rock). Seger has said: ""It saved a lot of jobs in my area, and that's exactly what we set out to do." Given his home state loyalty and Michigan's unemployment rates in the last coupla decades, Seger's comment is believable. It's certainly possible that every now and then a celebrity gets into advertising for a reason other than the bottom-line/money. Dylan's motives are another story. He's been into advertising money in the past. It fairly clear to me he's in it for the pay day. But I can't go hard on him - making money is the American way.

Bob has managed to stay alive & relevant for one hell of a long time, giving the public a lot more time to find fault with his decision making. Quite an accomplishment.

Good thing he's never really given a rat's rear about what the public thinks.

Imagine if he'd never moved beyond the folk scene, hooked up with Bloomfield, & released Highway 61 Revisited.

If anyone out there has earned the musical right to not have to explain himself, it's Dylan.

haha....one of my favourite obits ever

I kind of liked the commercial. Nice to see Dylan show some pride in his country. It's extremely easy to bash The U.S.A at this time, but he took a different path and as someone else has alluded to, I think it shows he's aware of what is happening to the country.... Don't know what they paid him or offered him, etc. and besides, it doesn't matter. There are a small handful of celebrities that stand above the fray, while the rest can't help but wallow in the filth. Dylan is one of those with some class. I'm not his greatest fan. Some of his early music and songwriting was pretty "high schoolish," even by my writing standards, but who he is and what he has achieved is beyond debate. He's just Dylan and likely doesn't give a rat's *** about what his detractors say. He's heard comments about his voice and appearance since the late 50's. Yet, he has remained who he is.......There are some humans who are far bigger than any comments (good or bad) about them can ever be. To me, Dylan is one of them.

The Super Bowl ads were sub-par for sure. Hated the Chevy spot steered towards cancer survivors. LOVED the Audi ad with the Doberman/Chihuahua. Also the Doritos spot "time travel", was pretty damn funny.

The Audi and Doritos ads were really fun..i look forward to seeing them again.

Archived