Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan Super Bowl Ad

duluthdan

I roadied for Zimmerman when he played austin Texas some years back 2002/3. many, many stagehands were herded into a small office so 'The Man' could walk by without being looked at/bothered.

what kind of star doesn't want to be looked at? nevermind 'bothered' by the Local crew who just wants to make their minimum and go home?

one that looks like a human muppet i reckon.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I roadied for Zimmerman when he played austin Texas some years back 2002/3. many, many stagehands were herded into a small office so 'The Man' could walk by without being looked at/bothered.

what kind of star doesn't want to be looked at? nevermind 'bothered' by the Local crew who just wants to make their minimum and go home?

big fan then?

Warning: Beer Content: Totally off topic!

Plus, if you looked on the map you would notice Plzen and Budejovice are both in southern czech republic, while German Sudetenland was a part from the north .... in other words, I think you've got no idea what youre talking about.

I don't have to look on a map - I've done a number of driving trips through all of the areas & cities mentioned (with a focus on history and, yes beer ( I often design a route just to take in a brewery town to sample from the source).My first driving trip was in Communist CZ, when you were undoubtably still drinking Fosters and playing Taylors.

German Sudetenland is not confined to the Sudetes mountains, which are in the north as you noted, but included areas in the west & south - unbroken all along the border of Bavaria & Austria as far east as the Brno region. When Hitler drew boundaries for annexation, Plzen was right on the border, which was drawn at the city limits. Budweis is not in Sudetenland proper but is just outside it & had a large German enclave and extensive German history (hence the German name).

However, I never said they were in the Sudetenland - I did say the expulsion of Sudeten Germans is entirely relevant to these 2 cities & their beer - Germans had a defining role in the development of beer both in Plzen & Budejovice.

There is a strong argument for seeing Czech beer as a German style - and there's lots of history to support that. Just a few references are quoted below (seems I'm not the only one with no idea of what I'm talking about).

Of course, you - and others -may & do not agree with this (there's an argument on the other side as well), but it is not the case that I have no idea what I am talking about.

BTW, I like "Czech" beers as well.

"The officials of Plzeň founded a city-owned brewery in 1839, Bürger Brauerei (Citizens' Brewery now Plzeňský Prazdroj),[6] and recruited Bavarian brewer Josef Groll (18131887) who produced the first batch of modern Pilsner beer on 5 October 1842. "

"... the city of Budweis was part ...of the German Confederation (1815-1866). The Munich Agreement of 1938 did not affect the city which was a German language island outside the contiguous Sudetenland proper"

"The oldest (founded in 1795) and second largest brewery (in Budweis) was renamed to "Pivovar Samson", replacing its original German name "Budweiser Bürgerbräu" during the communist period"

"Because the first pilsener lager came about in 1842, and essentially combined the latest brewing practices of Bavaria with the hops and water of a Bohemian brewery, the Czech beers are often lumped into the German category. The two regions were inextricably tied to the modern version of pilsener, and both had different brewing practices than North Germany. This proves an interesting example of how local and national definitions of beer complicate the idea of purely national identity in defining the history of a people. The differences in the brewing of beer between Bohemia and Bavaria are much smaller and more compatible than those between North and South Germany"

P.S. on edit - I wrote the above while quaffing a Schneider/Brooklyn Hopfenweizen. A collaboration between the great Bavarian Weisses Brauerei Schneider and the great American brewery Brooklyn. (funny - even though there are 1250 breweries in Germany, there are no fewer than about 2500 craft breweries in the USA - go figure...)

I worked a show with Prince. He does the same thing.

Dylan was great..he was talking up the USA. The Chrysler 200 is a cheap disposable car that will be worth less than a gibson melody maker in 3 years but they got a real deal absolute American guy there to sell it and mission accomplished for them. If Dylan was trying to sell me a Kia because he thought it had a good warranty it would have been a different story.

I have - 33 years back around Saved.

The good Bob sat down the black Strat he was playing at the time and went into some kind of corny show-dance including rather cühl - yet not fully controlled - moves with pointing finger-patterns. As I recall it there were female singers on stage in the period and he might have interacted a bit with them - not in any direct conventional man to woman ritual tho.

He wore shades and maybe therefore managed to get out of the stunt alive. Saw him later that same summer in Southern France - where it didn't happen.

For those who do not know - the artist from there on began to lose spirit, , , , drained by rock'n'roll life, too many gigs and the reality of the 80's.

Saw him more than a handful of times after that and he was spiraling down in flames. NOT a nice sight, , , or sound.

Untill 1998 when he suddenly - after gettin' over a serous illness - surprised by being together, , , , and extraordinary good. Further from there he stayed okay - still inconsístant like don't know what.

Take it or leave it - I was there

1981 - Bob1981.jpg the exact funky-dance-concert

Thanks. I find that a very interesting tale and stand corrected--sort of. I still think the "song and dance man" was a pose and that the early Dylan was very much a man of social commitment. It was common back in the 60's to toy with the mainstream media interviewers. Part of the "generation conflict." If you read Dylan's "Chronicles" autobiography, he acknowledges that he went into a severe writer's block and felt extreme pressure to write songs that were equivalent to his earlier ones. It must also have grown tiresome being approached as the voice of a generation.

Archived