Gibson Brands Forums

NYC Guitar Shops?

Hairy Dave

You lucky, lucky bugger ... !

Where to begin.

Rudys SoHo, Matt Ummanov, also in SoHo (where I bought my 69er) and highly recommend the ferry trip to Statten Island sailing by the Statue of Liberty to Mandolin Bros. I thought Guitar Center in NYC was really crappy, especially comapared to the other three.

Enjoy, you will love it mate.

Rudy's Matt Uamnov's Mandolin Brother in Staten Island... Don't even bother with the famed "48th Street" shops anymore... They are a footnote.

Best Gibson dealer hands down in the are though is about 90 minutes drive away in Asbury Park NJ - Russo's.

They have Gibson, Takamine, Taylor, Yamaha, and in the elctrics they have Gibson, Fender, Suhr, Gretsch etc.

Very cool young vibe to the store too.

Gotta go to Matt Ummanov's , when I was there they had a good selection of old Gibson's, friendly staff that will let you play anything without bother. Met Steve Earle while I was there, he was hanging out with the staff. John's pizza just down the street is great for lunch. Themis Sal is right about Russo's, bought a Keb Mo from them at a good price when the last time I was back home. I'll be back there in September. Have fun.

No mention of Manny's Music Shop? I assume that they're still there and they were always really good to me.

In 2009 Manny's was bought out by Sam Ash. They are not worth the time of day any longer. They even sold off the signed photos on the wall. Just a ghost of what the place was in the 1960s.

Thanks for the all of the suggestions. Been to NY a few times before but never for guitar shopping so I'm really looking forward to it. Doubt I'll get to Russo's though which is a shame. Possibly heading to Somerville for the day to see friends so I'll only be an hour away too.

Had planned to go to Williamsburg so a trip to Retrofret might tie in nicely!

Hey Dave . are you planning on bringing one home? Or you just window shopping?

Fingers crossed I'll bring one home! It's not the main reason for going but it's something me and my friend would like to do. We're there over Thanksgiving so a deal or two might be in the air? Although I'm not keen on spending half a day at a Black Friday sale in a Guitar Center.

Need to find out how much the airline would charge to bring it home...

Fingers crossed I'll bring one home! It's not the main reason for going but it's something me and my friend would like to do. We're there over Thanksgiving so a deal or two might be in the air? Although I'm not keen on spending half a day at a Black Friday sale in a Guitar Center.

Is it BA? If so should be about 30 quid. You can request it's held in the cabin but it wont fit an overhead locker so might be confiscated on boarding for collection on landing. I did it with BA for a stage piano and also for a guitar in the past. Hassle free really....

As the time approaches, hit me up Dave. If I am slow at work, I could always use an excuse to hit Mandolin and Russo's. Maybe several forum members can meet and go together. Maybe you take a train to Jersey, and then we ride to Russo's and hit Mandolin on the way back, where afterwards you can be dropped the SI Ferry, and I can drive back to NJ.

The shame of it is that back in the day just walking into a place like Manny's was an unbelievable experience. The big freight elevators near the entrance where they would be bring up the Vox Super Beatles, all those signed photos on the wall, the broken guitar that Jimmy Page or somebody dropped, the old yellow Dano they used to try out amps, the stories like how they would open the store in the middle of the night so Hendrix could come by and shop without being bothered. You could feel your heart start thumping in your chest the moment you walked in.

The shame of it is that back in the day just walking into a place like Manny's was an unbelievable experience. The big freight elevators near the entrance where they would be bring up the Vox Super Beatles, all those signed photos on the wall, the broken guitar that Jimmy Page or somebody dropped, the old yellow Dano they used to try out amps, the stories like how they would open the store in the middle of the night so Hendrix could come by and shop without being bothered. You could feel your heart start thumping in your chest the moment you walked in.

In the mid 1990s I bought a J200 from them - yep 48th Street was also a big part of my weekends with my friends in the 1980s.

Is it BA? If so should be about 30 quid. You can request it's held in the cabin but it wont fit an overhead locker so might be confiscated on boarding for collection on landing. I did it with BA for a stage piano and also for a guitar in the past. Hassle free really....

We're flying with American Airlines - good to know about possibly having it held in the cabin. Would make me a lot less nervous than having it stored in the hold!

As the time approaches, hit me up Dave. If I am slow at work, I could always use an excuse to hit Mandolin and Russo's. Maybe several forum members can meet and go together. Maybe you take a train to Jersey, and then we ride to Russo's and hit Mandolin on the way back, where afterwards you can be dropped the SI Ferry, and I can drive back to NJ.

Sounds like a great idea Sal :) I'll def get back to you closer to the time.

So disappointed that Manny's has closed - sounds like an awesome experience!

We're flying with American Airlines - good to know about possibly having it held in the cabin. Would make me a lot less nervous than having it stored in the hold!

No idea for them, or the costs... either way ye'll know the consumer always gets bent over in some description. But yeah, if you buy try to arange it beforehand so it's not a shock to them or anything, usually quite accomadating about holding it in the cabin, explain its fragile and temp sensitive. doubt you'll get to keep it or play it while on board but shouldnt be a hassle for them to keep it in store in the cabin. I've done so twic with BA with no real hassles involved.

No idea for them, or the costs... either way ye'll know the consumer always gets bent over in some description. But yeah, if you buy try to arange it beforehand so it's not a shock to them or anything, usually quite accomadating about holding it in the cabin, explain its fragile and temp sensitive. doubt you'll get to keep it or play it while on board but shouldnt be a hassle for them to keep it in store in the cabin. I've done so twic with BA with no real hassles involved.

Looked the airline up online and it's about $50 to check it or free to take on as my only piece of hand luggage (as long as I notify them and there is room to store it). Has to be 114cm long or less. Anything longer than 114cm requires the purchase of an additional seat.

In the mid 1990s I bought a J200 from them - yep 48th Street was also a big part of my weekends with my friends in the 1980s.

You should have been there in the 1960s. Even Dan Armstrong had a shop on 48th Street. I bought my first electric from Manny's in the mid-1960s. Got if off the el cheapo rack - a used Dano. Maybe a year later I snagged a used Hagstrom bass off the same rack. I don't think there was anything in that section that cost over $35.

Archived