Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp (& pickup) Day!

Twiz

Hey everyone, I haven't been on here in a while. Holiday stuff and band stuff kept me busy the past couple months. I hope you're all doing well. I just wanted to share some new additions to my current rig. I snagged a 1975 Fender Bassman Ten Silverface about a week ago. It's unmodded, but I'm considering getting a 'Marshall' type mod to the bass side. I've read that you can get kind of a JTM type sound from it. This thing eats pedals. So far I've found that the best sound I get is with a Tube Screamer, and (if you look close in the pic) a Big Toe boost from our own Surfpup. The Big Toe sounds really cool by itself with either my Tele or my Les Paul Special. I took the bridge humbucker out, and added a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat, and I really love how the LP Special sounds now. Here's a pic. Hope everybody is doing cool. Also, I haven't weighed it, but I think this amp weighs about 390 pounds. Haha.

-T

LP_Bassman_zps233aeab7.jpg

Mean rig you have there. Have you any sound clips, and which speakers does the amp have? If I remember correctly, the last one I saw was fitted with blue-frame AlNiCo 10"

I don't have any clips yet. I'm working on getting one together at some point. The speakers are the Oxford blue backs. I think that's why this thing sounds so awesome. I did some reading up on them and discovered they're 32 ohm speakers, and wired so that the cab is 8 ohms. Weird.

I always wanted a Fender Super Six amp.......love those big heavy fenders.

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on the Phat Cat pickup.......esp. how it compares to a "real" P90

Nice rig!!!

NHTom

Sick new amp! It looks super clean and beautiful

You should definitely be able to get it modded to JTM specs too. The JTM 45 is basically a Bassman circuit adapted to use components that were cheaper to source in the UK at the time. There was a major tax on imported transformers and such so Jim had to change the circuit to make it cheaper to produce

The Bassman itself is magical though, and apparently Jim Marshall thought so too. It wouldn't be bad to just keep it stock or maybe just replace the caps if you already dig the sound

I did some checking and discovered a claim the thing is 75 pounds. I don't think I believe it. Anyway if one hadda haul such a piece up steps, the perceived weight would increase geometrically with each step.

One thing I found in my olden days with the bassman is that you can mess with the different channels and get different responses - and could find different things with different guitar and amp settings.

m

Cool looking amp, first thing that came timings is weight.

If you do mod it make sure to go with something tried and true .

Sick new amp! It looks super clean and beautiful

You should definitely be able to get it modded to JTM specs too. The JTM 45 is basically a Bassman circuit adapted to use components that were cheaper to source in the UK at the time. There was a major tax on imported transformers and such so Jim had to change the circuit to make it cheaper to produce

The Bassman itself is magical though, and apparently Jim Marshall thought so too. It wouldn't be bad to just keep it stock or maybe just replace the caps if you already dig the sound

Thanks guys. Yea, if I do that mod, it will be to the bass side (on the far left side of the face plate). An amp builder friend of mine was telling me that's a common mod that people do. I won't do anything to the normal side. That sounds killer as it is. As for the caps, they all seem ok for now. I do plan on changing those to new caps sometime soon. Most likely, I'll just keep it stock.

Nice Amp,anyway take care of your back

Tell us more about the Phat Cat, sound clip, video? [drool]

I freakin' love the Phat Cat. To my ears, it's a little hotter than the stock P90 in my SG Jr. Tight low end, but where the pickup really shines is with mid and high tones. You still get the 60 cycle hum because it's a single coil, but I don't mind it. When I installed the pickup, I changed my pots (from 500k DiMarzio's) to 250k Alpha's, and I changed the caps to orange drops (.022uf). My LP Special wasn't getting as much play time, but now that I installed the new pickup and caps, I am thinking about taking this guitar out on tour in the spring.

Archived