Gibson Brands Forums

'68 ES-175D

James Alex

From 1966 catalog (specs basically unchanged as of 1968):

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1966_4.php

Not sure what you have in mind in terms of adjustments, but common adjustments/maintenance might include truss rod, fret issues, and bridge height. It all depends on playing condition and preferences. Have you been playing it since 1968?

http://www.vintagegu...gues/1966_4.php

Not sure what you have in mind in terms of adjustments, but common adjustments/maintenance might include truss rod, fret issues, and bridge height. It all depends on playing condition and preferences. Have you been playing it since 1968?

http://www.vintagegu...gues/1966_4.php

Playing on and off since '64. Just wondering if it may need some sort of overhaul. Bridge height is a concern, and is the main reason I would like to check exactly where that should be. I am not trying to personalize it. I would like to make sure it is set to factory specs and work from there. Thanx for your input.

James

So your 175 is an original 1968 ES-175 then? The included jpeg is hazy however this 175 appears to be much newer than a 175 from 1968.......jim in Maine

Hi Jim, Pic is from my daughter's phone and does not do it justice. I purchased, what was then called a 175D, at a small guitar studio outside of Pgh, PA, and has been with me ever since; (unless somebody swapped it when I was sleeping)

Would you have a way to post another clearer picture of your 175 especially from the side of the neck as it appears to be in really incredible condition!? In regards to the factory specs I personally wouldn't really care much about that aspect of things but rather check to see how the neck is currently setting in relation to the height of the bridge in regards to the overall action. Heck if the neck has not bowed you really are basically good to go save for maybe a nice fret level as long as the neck has not twisted for example. How much room do you currently have to adjust the bridge James? jim in Maine

Would you have a way to post another clearer picture of your 175 especially from the side of the neck as it appears to be in really incredible condition!? In regards to the factory specs I personally wouldn't really care much about that aspect of things but rather check to see how the neck is currently setting in relation to the height of the bridge in regards to the overall action. Heck if the neck has not bowed you really are basically good to go save for maybe a nice fret level as long as the neck has not twisted for example. How much room do you currently have to adjust the bridge James? jim in Maine

Hi Jim, Could you send a pic of exactly what angle would be the best to determine the condition of the neck? It is in great condition. Can't say as much for the hardbody case it came with. I thought there was a slight fret buzz on the high e around the second fret, but maybe that's just me.

thanx for your input.

Archived