Gibson Brands Forums

P90 Guitars

Karloff

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find interesting is how generic the talk about P90s is compared to the subject on humbuckers.

P90s can measure like 7 kohms all the way to 16kohms and have alnico 2 magnets with low output all the way to ceramic magnets for that Social Distortion sound.

I had the bridge pickup on my guitar wound to 11.3 kohms and 8.5 on the neck, the output varies depending on the magnet I install.

Guest Farnsbarns

Definitely an R6. I've missed having one since my dealer kindly swapped one I was returning under warranty for my R8. Don't get me wrong, cold dead hands and all that when it comes to the R8 but it would be nice to have both.

If you could buy any guitar loaded with P90's, what would it be ? A LP jr , LP special ?, Melody Maker ? another brand like PRS ?

I know im probably in the minority for what i would pick but i

Saw a melody maker a few years ago that had cedar, tune o matic etc. Really sweet, really different than most mm made today and if i could get any p90 git it would be that.

Personal opinion is that the P90 is a great P/U and nowadays an acquired taste...

Thinking back to Herb Ellis with his single P90 early ES175,from which he couldn't wait to 'get rid of the hum'

Resulting in the iconic single and double H/B ubiquitous jazz tool from '57 on...

With modern tweakery, the P90 is IMO a very viable sound generator which can be tamed to personal taste...

Some iconic P90 fellows

Eddie Cochran

Pete Townsend

Dave Gilmour

V

:-({|=

The guitars mentioned all are rather different in "feel."

Nothing for or against the P90 from me - I currently don't have one, though.

But I keep coming back to playability. For example, the SG type is the only solidbody I feel comfortable with. The 335 type is pretty big for folks most familiar with much smaller solidbodies.

There are some Epi Wildcats that are kinda like the Midtown Gibbies, smaller 335-shape but really, as I understand it, a routed-out hog with a top - P90s and a whammy. They're even quite inexpensive. Short 24 3/4 scale. They're quite well received on the Epi forum. Not my cup of tea, but...

I'd try different ones and see which seems to help you play. On a solidbody, I don't see much diff in sound among shapes, but that's just a personal opinion.

m

The thing that bothers me about the Jrs-"flatboard" designs is that they just call out to me to have a master volume where one might engage it with the pinky to offer neat variations of attack and decay...

m

The thing that bothers me about the Jrs-"flatboard" designs is that they just call out to me to have a master volume where one might engage it with the pinky to offer neat variations of attack and decay...

m

I can fairly easily access the volume controls in the standard Gibson positioning and layout with my pinkie. But I have crazy long fingers :P

-Ryan

Archived