Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Mustang 1 or 2?

guitar_randy

Well, all I can say is that those type of amps are cheap in price and a person gets more than just a single type one amp that is it.

Bad perhaps videos made do not help either in my opinion.

Depends on how much you have to spend with your budget.

They do sell more expensive amps, way more expensive.

And I do not really care what amp you get, that is up to you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i ordered and received the mustang 3 ,version 2 from guitar center. It arrived last night. I tinkered with some of the prests last night and tonight afer work some again. I have off tomorrow so I will get more in depth then. I have 30 days to decide if I will keep the amp. So far ,not far into it but not really sure what I think. It gets kinda loud,but seems to lose its sound before going too far. It sems to have decent low end and the speaker seems decent. The tones,this is where I am undecided. I definatley don't get tube tones at all. It sounds like what it is,simulated stuff. But not to say I am slamming it all the way here.I will give it a run and a chance. But I will right off the get go say it does not have tube like tone. SOme stuff sounds ok and some better than others. Some sounds like dung. No way it owuld pass for tube sound in my opinion. My wife even commented that it sounds fake. She likes my bugera v5 sound better ,lol I like that it can give a wide array of sounds. We'll have to see which of those can be of use. Now for the headache of trying to figure out how to operate its functions without enrolling in a tech class to get there.lol I'll update as I go. GIve the honest opinion as I go. So far-undecided.

Well i ordered and received the mustang 3 ,version 2 from guitar center. It arrived last night. I tinkered with some of the prests last night and tonight afer work some again. I have off tomorrow so I will get more in depth then. I have 30 days to decide if I will keep the amp. So far ,not far into it but not really sure what I think. It gets kinda loud,but seems to lose its sound before going too far. It sems to have decent low end and the speaker seems decent. The tones,this is where I am undecided. I definatley don't get tube tones at all. It sounds like what it is,simulated stuff. But not to say I am slamming it all the way here.I will give it a run and a chance. But I will right off the get go say it does not have tube like tone. SOme stuff sounds ok and some better than others. Some sounds like dung. No way it owuld pass for tube sound in my opinion. My wife even commented that it sounds fake. She likes my bugera v5 sound better ,lol I like that it can give a wide array of sounds. We'll have to see which of those can be of use. Now for the headache of trying to figure out how to operate its functions without enrolling in a tech class to get there.lol I'll update as I go. GIve the honest opinion as I go. So far-undecided.

Well, there are 100 presets, not all of them are going to wow everyone and, some of them suck. not sure what you are looking for tone wise or what sort of guitar you are using. Most of the presets however need some tweaking. Some of the Fender presets are the best IMO with both humbuckers and single coils.

I would say (IMEX) you get about 15/20 decent sounding presets, I use maybe 4 or 5 presets, the rest, I don't care, I just want the sounds I need when I need them,, that there are 95 other resets,, not a concern to me.

There's also a whole lot of editing you can do.. check out both of the screens for the AMP settings.. there's BIAS, Sag and the speaker / cab emulation settings that make significant changes. (If you have a PC, hook up Fuse and that lets you edit settings from your PC. It's a pretty easy interface)

I have a JTM60 (this is a mid 90s Marshall EL34 based tube amp).. The tones I can dial in with the stang are pretty close to the JTM, but side by side, the JTM has a more organic sound (it's all about the subtleties). But I think that's as far as it goes. When I am at rehearsal with the MIII or MIV (where I now need to compete with bass/drums/and another guitar player, there is no major appreciable difference in what the mustang is doing verses the JTM.)

Also, the speakers need to break in, so give it some time.

Archived