Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from Southern Minnesota

Doug the Old Geezer

Hi,I am not a Gibson owner yet. I am intrigued by the J-35 and probably will pull the trigger sometime this year. Right now I play a cheapie mandolin, a Bristol 6 string and an Alvarez A60-12 12 string. I have only been a player for about 10 years, so I am not too proficient, yet. Hope to get some good ideas from the acoustic folks. Thanks for having me.

Doug

You're in the tall corn country! Welcome to the forum. I spent 9 years in southern MN, 20 years in all. I have not been able to play a j35 yet, but a lot folks here really like them. Let us know how it goes! Concerning the old geezer thing, I claim ignorance!

Welcome! I am not familiar with Bristol. There are a lot of j35 fans here. The ones I have played have all sounded nice to my ears. I like getting a pocket of money and then going on the hunt. Often the one you set out for is not the one that gets your wallet open. That's part of the fun.

Stop by often. The j35 lovers should be along shortly.

Welcome! I am not familiar with Bristol. There are a lot of j35 fans here. The ones I have played have all sounded nice to my ears. I like getting a pocket of money and then going on the hunt. Often the one you set out for is not the one that gets your wallet open. That's part of the fun.

Stop by often. The j35 lovers should be along shortly.

Thanks, AP, the Bristol is a low end Blueridge, it plays nice, but not the sound I really like, my Alvarez 12 has a beautiful tone, but of course it has a totally different sound than a 6 string. Thanks for your feedback. :)

We're not geezers.... just in the fouth quarter is all, welcome.

Most of my family comes from lake country.

Thanks Tarrr, I hope the 4th quarter ends up in a tie so we can go into overtime. I lived on the Iron Range about 40 years ago. Loved it up there but no work, so moved south about 300 miles. [rolleyes]

You're in the tall corn country! Welcome to the forum. I spent 9 years in southern MN, 20 years in all. I have not been able to play a j35 yet, but a lot folks here really like them. Let us know how it goes! Concerning the old geezer thing, I claim ignorance!

Thanks, chasAK. I haven't tried the j35 out yet, either. I have been listening to video reviews and even though I have good pc speakers it is not the same as playing it or listening to it in person, but this one has me intrigued. The corn isn't growing very well right now. It is going to be -14 F tonight. [biggrin]

Welcome! Try the J15 and the LG2AE. Very comfortable guitars - but make sure they are set up with nice low action for comfort for you.

Thanks, ThemisSal. I am hoping to get to a shop and try some out. I am also hoping that some that have tried them out can give me their opinions on the difference between mahogany and walnut backs and sides as far as the acoustics are concerned. I have only owned mahogany with spruce tops, so I don't have any idea what walnut does to the sound. [smile]

Welcome.

How's this brutal winter going in Minn?

Good luck with your hunt for a J-35. . B)

Well Big, this morning it was -12F and right now as we type it is 0 . We are expecting like 6 days in a row of negative zero temperatures and next Monday and Tuesday mornings it is supposed to -16F air temp. It promotes a lot of guitar playing. Thanks, I hope to be able to get to a shop and try the J-35, J-15 and maybe the J-45 out. [smile]

Well Big, this morning it was -12F and right now as we type it is 0 . We are expecting like 6 days in a row of negative zero temperatures and next Monday and Tuesday mornings it is supposed to -16F air temp. It promotes a lot of guitar playing. Thanks, I hope to be able to get to a shop and try the J-35, J-15 and maybe the J-45 out. [smile]

If the car will start, right? Block heaters still come standard in Minnesota cars?

If the car will start, right? Block heaters still come standard in Minnesota cars?

Well Dan, two of my cars wouldn't start this morning (-12), so I had to walk 3/8 of mile down to my 89 year old Dad's place and steal hi van. I wished my cars would have had block heaters. But on the positive side, we only have 8 more months until summer. Just kidding, I hope. Best time of the year to get together and jam with the stringed instruments. It helps take your mind off of winter. [smile]

Well Dan, two of my cars wouldn't start this morning (-12), so I had to walk 3/8 of mile down to my 89 year old Dad's place and steal hi van. I wished my cars would have had block heaters. But on the positive side, we only have 8 more months until summer. Just kidding, I hope. Best time of the year to get together and jam with the stringed instruments. It helps take your mind off of winter. [smile]

Minus 34 in Bozeman two nights ago. We had to bring in the brass monkey. Last night is was all the way up to -21. We are sending more your way so get ready. All the cars started just fine as they have fuel injection and for some strange reason they just seem to start easier.

If you want to try guitars come to Bozeman this June and go to the Gibson Homecoming. Lots of great folks and plenty of guitars to play.

Minus 34 in Bozeman two nights ago. We had to bring in the brass monkey. Last night is was all the way up to -21. We are sending more your way so get ready. All the cars started just fine as they have fuel injection and for some strange reason they just seem to start easier.

If you want to try guitars come to Bozeman this June and go to the Gibson Homecoming. Lots of great folks and plenty of guitars to play.

Sounds like a blast. Hopefully I will have my GAS pain satisfied by then. Stay warm, we have about 5 more days of sub-zero weather, then it is supposed to get up to 20 degrees. Heat wave. [biggrin]

Archived