Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Prophecy Custom SG GX Caps

Rewddawg

Does anyone know what capacitor was installed stock on my Epi Custom Prophecy SG GX guitar. They are red and look similar to orange drops. I can't read any writing on them without removing all the pots and wiring. Are these decent caps or is it worthwhile changing them?

thanks

Rewd

P.S. A shout out to everyone I haven't been on here in a coon's age!

My opinion is that it is not worth changing caps unless you are changing the capacitance value. I did a true A/B test between ceramic and paper in oil (purportedly the worst and best) on my Gibson LP Traditional where I confirmed the cap values with a meter and installed a switch so I could switch back and forth on the fly. There was no audible difference that I could detect. I wanted to hear it to justify the money I spent on the PIO caps, but just couldn't.

Of course this is a very controversial subject and someone will be along soon to say I am totally wrong. [smile]

Of course this is a very controversial subject and someone will be along soon to say I am totally wrong. [smile]

You're totally wrong! (Just kidding Gunner. I just didn't want to disappoint you.)

Rewddawg,

Welcome back.

I'm pretty much with Gunner.

When I change out an entire harness I do go with PIO caps. But, it's mostly aesthetics and the fact that I am starting

over from scratch.

If there is a difference I seriously doubt that anyone but you would notice it.

I'm sure people have listened to music and said, "That guitar player must be using a Les Paul."

I'm sure it has been said, "I'll bet he's getting his sound from his 100 watt Mickey and Donald amp."

I'll go so far as to guess that some have said, "He only sounds like that because of his custom Wiki Woo pickups."

When have you ever heard anyone say, "Wow, that guitar player must be using PIO or Spraque Orange caps."?

If you are changing out an entire harness, go with good quality. If what you have sounds good....Why bother?

My 2 cents,

Willy

Thanks for the input people. I read an article on capacitors and it said caps could drastically change your sound. I also have read inputs from several luthiers who agree with what you people are saying. I guess I'll just leave my guitar as is for now. No need to fix what isn't broken. lol

Thanks Rewd

No need to fix what isn't broken.

Viable point.

Frankly, the EQ of the room you are playing in has more to do with perceived sound.

How many people actually use a true EQ in their guitar setup?

In a reasonably sound proof studio setup you might hear that one cap filters slightly more high or mids than another.

Give me a dozen guitars and I will tell you (only from personally playing them) which are wired

modern, which are 50's, which are dependent or independent.

I can probably tell you what kind of taper the pots have. ie: 10% audio, 20% audio, 30% audio or linear.

I seriously doubt that I could blindly tell you what kind of caps are there.

Willy

Viable point.

Frankly, the EQ of the room you are playing in has more to do with perceived sound.

How many people actually use a true EQ in their guitar setup?

In a reasonably sound proof studio setup you might hear that one cap filters slightly more high or mids than another.

Give me a dozen guitars and I will tell you (only from personally playing them) which are wired

modern, which are 50's, which are dependent or independent.

I can probably tell you what kind of taper the pots have. ie: 10% audio, 20% audio, 30% audio or linear.

I seriously doubt that I could blindly tell you what kind of caps are there.

Willy

Thanks Willy.

I don't know if the people that wrote the article are just trying to sell capacitors or are trying to drum up business in repairs or whatever but they make it sound like that if you put in orange drop caps that your guitar will have this new tone to die for and oip caps will make your guitar sound like a guitar from the late 50's etc. That's why I came to you guys because my local guitar shop does not have a true luthier and I would have to drive about 100 miles to find one. You guys have always been knowledgeable and steered my in the right direction.

You know how it gets you play the same guitars for years and tweak your amps and effects. Then you start wondering if your guitar can be tweaked for optimal sound (I play mostly hard rock and some older metal.

Thanks Again

Rewd

I play mostly hard rock and some older metal.

Rewd

Most of the people that played "Hard Rock" when it was original and brand new played on guitars that were wired modern.

Most of the people that played "Older Metal" when it was "New Metal" played on guitars that are wired modern.

Guess what? That is how Epiphone guitars are wired.

Most of them couldn't tell you the first thing about what kind of caps they had.

They concentrated on buying the best tube amp they could afford.

You know how it gets you play the same guitars for years and tweak your amps and effects.

And it sounds as though you already have a handle on that.

Willy

Archived