Gibson Brands Forums

Price match?

rct

You online buyers. Who gives good price match? Like, yeah, we'll match that and come down another 50 bucks or whatever. Does anyone do that? Thanks!

rct

Last week I bought a LP Standard that way from MF.

I tried to deal with Sam Ash but they came up with some lame excuse why they could not do it.

Early last year I bought a HB from Sam Ash at a good price but it guess it depends when and who you deal with.

GC didn't price match on one particular item I wanted (a sample pad). I wanted to buy something else too (forgot what it was). I asked them if they had a coupon code for the second one and they gave me one. So I asked if I could apply the code to the sample pad too but they said no. It was kinda strange.

I recently bought an On-Stage Stands WS8700 Professional Workstation, which actually was delivered today. For that I went to Amazon and got the best deal there. It went very smoothly; well, I still need to open all the boxes but it arrived right on time.

GC didn't price match on one particular item I wanted (a sample pad). I wanted to buy something else too (forgot what it was). I asked them if they had a coupon code for the second one and they gave me one. So I asked if I could apply the code to the sample pad too but they said no. It was kinda strange.

I recently bought an On-Stage Stands WS8700 Professional Workstation, which actually was delivered today. For that I went to Amazon and got the best deal there. It went very smoothly; well, I still need to open all the boxes but it arrived right on time.

A couple of years ago I was looking for a lefty LP Trad (most places going for $2600)...Sweetwater had it for $2200 for a righty. Amazon also had it for $2200 for a lefty. I had my doubts about getting a lefty for the price of a righty and so I emailed Amazon. The guy didn't read my email correctly, thought I was asking for a price match...and simply offered me the guitar for $2000.

Amazon...who knew?

Generally most of the big chain stores will do that on standard model guitars that they all sell...

What you have to lookout for is that most of the big internet/warehouse/chain stores now have their own "exclusive" models that aren't available thru other retailers. This allows them to make a misleading statement of price-matching, but it should be noted that these big sellers have the pull to have the major manufacturers make specific model designations only sold thru the different sellers, so technically they can say it's not the same axe so you're comparing "apples & oranges" so they don't have to match price of another seller...

Having said that, generally the boots-on-the ground either in stores or like Sweetwater where you get a dedicated sales agent assigned to you as a customer, they will make such concessions without much opposition or effort...

They all sell at about the same price anyway so it takes the bargaining-chip out of the equation anyway...

I get it though, you get emails every day for 10, 15, or 20% off sale prices from the big sellers and usually the next guy will match it...

I never had the "guts" to buy a guitar online. But fortunately with the HOG only about an hour away I never have to worry about it. They always give me the best deals (helps to know the owners' accountant too). One time Bruce, one of the owners, told me that the Gibson rep was going to be there on a particular Saturday. He said that I could squeeze an extra $100 from the rep on my ES-339. Sure enough I did. Great store.

Gibson did make my black cherry LP as a special run for GC. They didn't budge on the price. My parents came from the "old country" where you negotiate on everything. So I learned how to make deals. But this is one I lost. Because HOG couldn't get it, I ended up paying the GC price. I didn't mind because I love the look of it.

Archived