Gibson Brands Forums

LG-1 question

Nedley

I've been looking for an inexpensive smaller guitar for some couch playing for a while now.

A LG-1 just showed up on my local Craigslist that I might be interested in. It's close to what I'd like to spend but until yesterday I'd never even heard of the model.

A little googling told me that it at the lower end of the Gibson line but that's about all I know.

Before I even contact the seller I'd like to know what the specs are for this model.

I'm mostly interested in dimensions like the upper and lower bout and waist size, the scale and how wide is the neck at the nut.

If anyone could tell me more about this I'd appreciate it. It would be even better if someone could point me to a webpage that has info on old Gibsons.

Here's the one I'm looking at on Craigslist.

comments on this specific one would be appreciated too.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/4316113277.html

thanks in advance

ned

just My opinion on this.... 650 to 800 U.S... ladder braced, Wood Bridge.. lools like it may have been updated , I do see a crack along the Fingerboard down to the Sound hole.. I wonder if it has been repaired or not.. they have a decent sound.. not a bad neck either... My concerns on these as well as Lgos. is the Top bowing behind the bridge. and sinking around the sound hole.. all the ones Ive encountered have had those issures..

These, like all Gibsons made from 1960 on, have a very skinny neck. On the plus side the nut width was still 1 11/16." But depending on your preferences, that neck profile can be a deal killer. So make sure you are comfortable with it before even considering buying a post-1959 Gibson.

These, like all Gibsons made from 1960 on, have a very skinny neck. On the plus side the nut width was still 1 11/16." But depending on your preferences, that neck profile can be a deal killer. So make sure you are comfortable with it before even considering buying a post-1959 Gibson.

Thanks for the info. The 1 11/16" nut is probably a deal killer for me. I've got a very nice '68 d-35 that I never play mostly because the 1 11/16 neck feels too tight for me. I play fingerstyle and really like 1 3/4 or 1 13/16.

Thanks for the info. The 1 11/16" nut is probably a deal killer for me. I've got a very nice '68 d-35 that I never play mostly because the 1 11/16 neck feels too tight for me. I play fingerstyle and really like 1 3/4 or 1 13/16.

If you want the 1 3/4" nut with most Gibsons you are looking at a Bozeman-made guitar or one made before 1947. Another possibility would be a 1960s Gibson F-25 "Folk Singer." These came with a 2" nut.

If you want the 1 3/4" nut with most Gibsons you are looking at a Bozeman-made guitar or one made before 1947. Another possibility would be a 1960s Gibson F-25 "Folk Singer." These came with a 2" nut.

I played a keb mo about a year and a half ago that I really liked. If it worked out that might be an option too. I don't know if they are made in Bozeman. A 2" nut is too wide for me, 1 7/8 is pushing it but I've played at least 1 that felt good, I guess it depends on how the nut is cut.

Is there an easy way to get specs like nut width, bout measurements, scale and weight for old Gibsons?

I didn't see a section on their website for discontinued models.

Thx

Ned

I played a keb mo about a year and a half ago that I really liked. If it worked out that might be an option too. I don't know if they are made in Bozeman. A 2" nut is too wide for me, 1 7/8 is pushing it but I've played at least 1 that felt good, I guess it depends on how the nut is cut.

The feel may have something to do with the radius of the board.

Archived