Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 wiring. Is it supposed to be like this?

Howndog

Hi

I'm new to the forum and a pretty new player as well. I've had my ES-339 Pro for just over a year and noticed that with the toggle in the middle if I roll one of the volumes off it goes completely dead. I would have thought that I should still get sound from the remaining pick-up that still has the volume on but this appears to not be the case.

Is this correct?

Thx

HD

Yes. It is called dependent wiring. You can change the wiring to independent (just google it). I have never tried it but my understanding is that it affects the volume taper and possibly the tone. I like to be able to turn my guitar off with just one pot when in the middle position, so I stay with dependent.

Yes, that is the Gibson wiring. If you turn the volume all the way down, it will be off. That is useful in many situations. Rickenbacker does it so one can be turned all the way down and the other stays on. They can be easily modified either way.

God bless, Spamonkis

Thx. Good to know it's not broken.

I guess I'll do a bit of research and give it some thought as I'm not sure I like it this way. I think I'll wait till my SGJ arrives though, in case I'm not able to stuff all those electrics back into the f n hole. Don't want to be stuck with-out a guitar as I really need all the practice I can get.

HD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 339 is the same . I found it a little odd but I'll get used to it . I have had it for less than a day , other than this feature , I'm very satisfied with it .

I have had mine for about a week and I am very happy also, amazing guitar for what I paid for it, I ended up with the Ultra model so I am still getting used to the different settings.

My 339 is the same . I found it a little odd but I'll get used to it . I have had it for less than a day , other than this feature , I'm very satisfied with it .

I have had mine for about a week and I am very happy also, amazing guitar for what I paid for it, I ended up with the Ultra model so I am still getting used to the different settings.

Archived