Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Chris Cornell(Soundgarden,Audioslave) Songs?

Hthomas

aint got nothin on zack de la rocha

Chris Cornell is a vocalist, Zach is a rapper. Big difference.

As for Chris, seeing him live is so hit or miss, he's either on it, or really off. As for recorded material though, "When I'm Down" from his first solo album Euphoria Mourning is absolutly amazing. His vocals just go right through you.

I would agree about the live statement. I've seen a few live videos of him and

it seems like he doesnt try very hard and sometimes there are parts where he should

be pushing it harder than he is.

That said "I am the Highway" from Audioslave is one of my favorites.

For the most part i only like his earlier years in "temple of the dog" and "soundgarden". I'm a big fan of both those bands. Like some audioslave songs well enough but do not like any of his solo work (at least from what i've heard)

I like...

Hungerstrike (totd)

say hello to heaven (totd)

wooden jesus (totd)

Day i tried to live (sg)

Blow up the outside world (sg)

Black hole sun (sg)

Burden in my hand (sg)

Those are some of the big ones i can think of at this moment.

Temple of the Dog was a cool project, with a few really good songs that I think defined the "Seattle Sound" moreso than superheroes Nirvana did. Not knocking Nirvana by any means, I like 'em myself, I just feel they weren't the best overall band or songwriters of the era/region (just got heard by the right folks at the right time).

ANYTHING off Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" album is great (particularly "Outshined", "Drawing Flies" and "Holy Water"), and a few things off "Superunknown" (like "Kickstand" and "My Wave"....personally kinda' liked Frampton's instrumental of "Black Hole Sun" better than the original though), and a few select other songs off earlier and later 'garden efforts, but some of it especially towards the end was just weird and too contrived with alternate tunings being the focus instead of the intent of any kind of hooks or memorable riffage. Just wasn't as impressive as the BMF album to me....that thing still kicks me in the chest when I listen to it. Awesome freakin' drummer, crazy-cool bassist and freakazoid guitarist with the right stuff. Chris was a moron for going solo and in general screwing up that band.

I also liked most of his work with Audioslave (and thought Audioslave was more listenable than Rage...but I AM a Rage fan too, I just grow weary of Zach's voice and repetition after a handful of songs), and enjoyed that the songwriting in Audioslave was more musical and less backing-track-y than Rage. I thought he was, yet again, a colossal helmet-wearing moron for breaking up yet ANOTHER good band to go solo.

Which brings me to Chris' solo junk. It sucks. ALL of it. Nutless, gutless, meaningless self-indulgent drivel with a side of lame and pomposity for dessert. I can't follow any of it, can't stand the odd song structures/weird & out of place sounding chord progressions/awful vocal melodies, and I just think it's a poor use of what talents I thought he had. Stop going solo, Chris...you and Weiland keep blowing it by "firing" your bands. We don't like you alone, wake up.

Hey. You asked. =D>

H-Bomb

Temple of the Dog was a cool project' date=' with a few really good songs that I think defined the "Seattle Sound" moreso than superheroes Nirvana did. Not knocking Nirvana by any means, I like 'em myself, I just feel they weren't the best overall band or songwriters of the era/region (just got heard by the right folks at the right time).

ANYTHING off Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" album is great (particularly "Outshined", "Drawing Flies" and "Holy Water"), and a few things off "Superunknown" (like "Kickstand" and "My Wave"....personally kinda' liked Frampton's instrumental of "Black Hole Sun" better than the original though), and a few select other songs off earlier and later 'garden efforts, but some of it especially towards the end was just weird and too contrived with alternate tunings being the focus instead of the intent of any kind of hooks or memorable riffage. Just wasn't as impressive as the BMF album to me....that thing still kicks me in the chest when I listen to it. Awesome freakin' drummer, crazy-cool bassist and freakazoid guitarist with the right stuff. Chris was a moron for going solo and in general screwing up that band.

I also liked most of his work with Audioslave (and thought Audioslave was more listenable than Rage...but I AM a Rage fan too, I just grow weary of Zach's voice and repetition after a handful of songs), and enjoyed that the songwriting in Audioslave was more musical and less backing-track-y than Rage. I thought he was, yet again, a colossal helmet-wearing moron for breaking up yet ANOTHER good band to go solo.

Which brings me to Chris' solo junk. It sucks. ALL of it. Nutless, gutless, meaningless self-indulgent drivel with a side of lame and pomposity for dessert. I can't follow any of it, can't stand the odd song structures/weird & out of place sounding chord progressions/awful vocal melodies, and I just think it's a poor use of what talents I thought he had. Stop going solo, Chris...you and Weiland keep blowing it by "firing" your bands. We don't like you alone, wake up.

Hey. You asked. =D>

H-Bomb [/quote']

Man, H-Bomb! I'm agreeing with almost every post of yours i see!

I always thought Cornell had one of the best voices in rock and roll. My favorite stuff is on the first album of theirs I ever bought - Louder than Love (their 2nd album I think). "Hands All Over" would probably be the best song for me since that was the one that made me buy the album, but Loud Love was cool too and Dig Dumb Sex lives on my iPod! Hilarious and rockin' at the same time. Really every song on that record was good. Then again "Birth Ritual" on the Singles soundtrack was bad a** too! I don't think I really picked one did I? :)

Archived