Gibson Brands Forums

Tony's String Comparisons

Smurfbird

Okay, that was cool.

My take: I could tell no appreciable difference with fingerpicking but the extra and custom lights were both, to my ear, way too jangly for strumming: they masked that guitar's otherwise distinctive mid-ranges. The mids came thru nicely on both the lights and mediums. The lows had better character with the lights and mediums, too, than with the extra and customs, methinks. Again, I only heard these differences in the full strumming portions of the demo.

Makes me have less trepidation about lights, but I can't see ever going to extra light any time soon. I tend to prefer a blugrass blend or DR Rare medium-heavy anyway, so this demo helps me see (hear) why I do.

Huh...

I play my guitars in rotation so that all of them get equal playing time. Friday nights I play my J-50 with my mates and we usually play at least four hours and sometimes more. So with my fingers pretty much toast after that I start playing my smaller guitars on Saturday. I start with my gypsy jazz guitar strung with gypsy jazz strings (and a typical high action), then I go to my Recording King RNJ-25 strung with extra lights and then on to my little ET5-SS strung with lights and all my other guitars I string with lights. Extra lights are fun and make string bends almost effortless, and since I'm not pressing to keep volume with other players it works great. I'm actually surprised at how well extra lights work as I at first thought they wouldn't be enough to drive the top. But lights are as heavy as I will ever go at this point. If I was to ever have a custom guitar made I think I'd stipulate that it be specifically voiced for light guage strings.

Archived