Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson Custom Acoustic - Help With Info Please

beforenightfalls

Hi my first Gibson, a 1967 custom acoustic, arrived a few days ago and I'd like some more info on it if possible please. I have contacted Gibson with the serial number and photos plus details from the seller only to be told the serial number is consistent with 1967 and that "I am unable to verify this model, no pictures in our data base match the guitar. It is most likely a custom made model as you mention." The guitar is very solidly built, I assume the pearl/abalone decorations were applied after it left the Gibson factory, I think it has the original case. The guitar looks quite similar to C-0, C-1 etc but there are subtle differences such as the binding which is unlike any other I've seen. I would love to know what wood my guitar is made from, if it is definitely a 1967 and anything else you might be able to tell me. I got the impression when I started my search for more details that the serial numbers for custom mades were not accurate. Thanks.

DSC07994.jpg

DSC07995.jpg

DSC07992.jpg

DSC07991.jpg

DSC07988.jpg

DSC07987.jpg

DSC07984.jpg

DSC07983.jpg

As you surmise, that guitar began life as a 1967 C-0 or C-1. Not quite sure which. It is mahogany back and sides, spruce top, I believe.

It is not a "custom made" guitar, other than the elaborate decoration, all of which was done after it left the factory.

These were Gibson's entry-level classical nylon-string guitars, built on the same body plan as the steel-string LG series.

They are not particularly sought after by either players or collectors, but play it and enjoy.

As you surmise, that guitar began life as a 1967 C-0 or C-1. Not quite sure which. It is mahogany back and sides, spruce top, I believe.

It is not a "custom made" guitar, other than the elaborate decoration, all of which was done after it left the factory.

These were Gibson's entry-level classical nylon-string guitars, built on the same body plan as the steel-string LG series.

They are not particularly sought after by either players or collectors, but play it and enjoy.

How for a charizmatic little guitar. .

Thanks. You mention it is not a custom made guitar yet the reply from Gibson said it was most likely a custom made model. How did custom made guitars work back in the 1960s?

Photos were posted on another forum a few weeks ago but we now have the guitar in our possession, have been able to take clearer photos and contact Gibson too so I was hoping to find out a little more now.

Thanks. You mention it is not a custom made guitar yet the reply from Gibson said it was most likely a custom made model. How did custom made guitars work back in the 1960s?

Photos were posted on another forum a few weeks ago but we now have the guitar in our possession, have been able to take clearer photos and contact Gibson too so I was hoping to find out a little more now.

Your guitar was made by Gibson as an entry-level guitar. It is counterintuitive that Gibson would build a "custom" guitar on what was one of the least expensive guitars in the Gibson line-up at that time.

The inlays on your guitar are not of a style ever used by Gibson.

There is probably no one now working for Gibson Acoustic in Montana that was working for Gibson in Kalamazoo more than 45 years ago, when your guitar was built. There is probably no one at Gibson who can give you a definitive answer on Gibson's custom guitar practices in the 1960's, but it is safe to say that it did not include elaborate inlays on an entry-level guitar. This was done after the guitar left the plant, and it makes the guitar more a piece of folk art than a valuable musical instrument.

Many of us own guitars that were "customized" after leaving the factory, some tastefully, others less so. If you like the way your guitar looks, sounds, and plays, that's all that matters..

Welcome and congratulation on your acquisition! As others have mentioned it appears the customization was acquired after leaving the factory. It is a shame you don't know more about this little guitars history. Someone obviously cared a great deal about it to give it that degree of ornamentation. I hope it gives you years (and hours) of entertainment and thanks for sharing it here.

Archived