Gibson Brands Forums

Ladies and gentlemen—THE BEATLES!!!

darling67

I spent yesterday afternoon watching the dvds of the 4 Sullivan shows the were on. Three from feb 64 and the aug of 65 right around Shea stadium. The difference is pretty cool. From a group wide eyed by their sudden American success to a year and half later being the biggest band in the world without equal.

I spent yesterday afternoon watching the dvds of the 4 Sullivan shows the were on. Three from feb 64 and the aug of 65 right around Shea stadium. The difference is pretty cool. From a group wide eyed by their sudden American success to a year and half later being the biggest band in the world without equal.

cookieman, yeah...

I've got those DVD's and it's pretty cool to see the difference between the Feb. 9th 1964 show, and the Aug. 1965 appearance. They had already made leaps and bounds as a band, and you see it as well as hear it. Even the television "special effects" had a newness about them (the super-imposing of all four faces during the extended intro to "Ticket To Ride").

Perhaps one of my favorite DVD's in my CD/DVD tower (and those commercials are a hoot, huh? THAT was mid-60's American society in a time capsule!).

That was a great era in music to be sure, and being a teenager during those years was special for a lot of reasons. The Beatles were such a large part of it.

That being said, and looking back on it, part of what makes the Beatles great was the versatility of their music and in the many ways their music has been interpreting and redone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcZ6s3z1jg

But who on here is old enough to remember where you were when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show that February 9, 1964? I was laying on the floor in our living room. My dad was convinced this was the end of civilization as we know it. [scared]

I remember that night like it was last night. I was at my girlfriends house watching the show, it was great.

I tried watching the CBS special last night. I wanted to watch it in the worse way because I do remember watching the original show 50 years ago. But when Katy Perry sang "I'm not half the girl I used to be" during her tribute to "Yesterday"... I had to turn the channel. I couldn't take it anymore. I really couldn't take it. I was ready to turn the channel when John Mayer & Keith Urban were doing their tribute as well but tried to hang in there to watch the rest of the show but Katy Perry was the last straw. I realize everyone was trying to pay homage in their own way but I also thought - I couldn't stand there in front of the two remaining Beatles and sing their songs to them. It was weird. I couldn't take anymore. I prefer to remember how it was back then. I know... I'm getting old. [blink]

I tried watching the CBS special last night. I wanted to watch it in the worse way because I do remember watching the original show 50 years ago. But when Katy Perry sang "I'm not half the girl I used to be" during her tribute to "Yesterday"... I had to turn the channel. I couldn't take it anymore. I really couldn't take it. I was ready to turn the channel when John Mayer & Keith Urban were doing their tribute as well but tried to hang in there to watch the rest of the show but Katy Perry was the last straw. I realize everyone was trying to pay homage in their own way but I also thought - I couldn't stand there in front of the two remaining Beatles and sing their songs to them. It was weird. I couldn't take anymore. I prefer to remember how it was back then. I know... I'm getting old. [blink]

As much as I enjoyed the "look back," I too was perplexed, and squirmed a bit, at her rendition of "Yesterday."

But then, I'm not a Katy Perry music fan, anyway. I thought the vocal mic's were a bit TOO "hot" at times, too.

It made some of the renditions, sound "harsh," for lack of a better term.

But...Ringo had a blast, and Paul was in pretty good form, all things considered, as well. And, as

I mentioned, on another thread, the audience reactions, big smiles, tears, singing along, and dancing

in the isles, by childern as well as much older adults, really says it all! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

If you lived through it and you remember it no show like this will do anything for you. If you didn't live through it and you don't remember it no show like this will do anything for you.

rct

But who on here is old enough to remember where you were when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show that February 9, 1964? I was laying on the floor in our living room. My dad was convinced this was the end of civilization as we know it. [scared]

In Feb. of 1964, I was 2 years and 11 months away from coming into the world…

I remember, as a kid, going over my aunt's house and listening to her Beatles records. Occasionally, she'd bring out her old reel-to-reel tape player—which she placed near her TV and "recorded" their first Ed Sullivan Show appearance—and we'd listen to it. Not sure what has become of those tapes (not that the poor sound quality warranted it being salvaged). But the fact that she had the foresight to KNOW that it was something huge, and made the effort to record it, is pretty cool.

Yep I was 3 years and 355 days old. My first memories of life were around then. Living on an Air Force Base in France. My mother called it Jungle music. My dad didn't like their hair but thought they were talented. My sisters and older brothers loved them. Therefore, so did I.

I really liked the show last night. I spotted my business partner 4 rows behind Sir Paul. He told the truth. He was really there. Lucky dog.

As a little tyke my sunday nights were spent visiting my Grandma. I was 2 days away from my 4th birthday and remember fighting my way around my girl cousins to see what they were all screaming about.

For the longest time I thought Paul and George were the main singers because for most of all my my loving they were on camera together and harmonized on the final verse. John seemed way off to the right and you could barely hear him because of a mic malfunction.

I remember the Ed Sullivan show very well. Our band was already performing, and when the Beatles hit the air waves, of course we covered a lot of their material. They were a big influence in our types of songs and writing.

On another note about the show that just aired, my daughters friend worked on the sound and lighting for the show and he sent her some photos of the show, and also some pictures he took back stage. She forwarded some of them to me, and there are some great pictures.I would have loved to have been able to be there for the taping.

As a little tyke my sunday nights were spent visiting my Grandma. I was 2 days away from my 4th birthday and remember fighting my way around my girl cousins to see what they were all screaming about.

For the longest time I thought Paul and George were the main singers because for most of all my my loving they were on camera together and harmonized on the final verse. John seemed way off to the right and you could barely hear him because of a mic malfunction.

That means today HAPPY 54th Cookieman!!!!

I'll join you in 8 days!

Apparently, CBS is re-airing the 50th Celebration, at *8:30 PM, on Wednesday night!

*(Check your local listings, for exact times)

So, any who missed it, or want to watch it again, there you go!

CB

Cool! Thanks CB for the heads up on it. ioKd4hk.gif

Archived