Gibson Brands Forums

strings for les paul studio.

bobaraba67

i just bought a les paul studio and am clueless as to what size or brand of strings to use.

i realize its an individual decision and it probably will take a little while to figure it out.

i have played acoustic guitar for over 40 yrs and use elixirs, but i'm sure electric is a whole different animal.

i am pretty sure i won't want to go real light so what are your recommendations for brand and string size?

Hi bob (can i call you bob?) and welcome.

I presume your studio came with a full set of strings? [tongue]

I think the stock strings are usually 0.010"-0.046" gauge and I hope someone else will confirm this...

Depending on what you like you can go thicker or thinner from there.

The most reputed brand for strings is arguably Ernie Ball, and others include D'addario, Dunlop, and Gibson and Fender (not in any order).

Start off with nickel-wound steel strings as these are the most common and have the most neutral tone. I believe LPs are strung with pure nickel strings as standard which have a heavier, vintage tone with more bass.

But why do you need new strings just after buying your Studio? I am confuse.

Anyway, cheers and I hope you find what you're looking for [thumbup]

I think the stock strings are usually 0.010"-0.046" gauge and I hope someone else will confirm this...

The most reputed brand for strings is arguably Ernie Ball, and others include D'addario, Dunlop, and Gibson and Fender (not in any order).

Start off with nickel-wound steel strings as these are the most common and have the most neutral tone. I believe LPs are strung with pure nickel strings as standard which have a heavier, vintage tone with more bass.

i haven't even received the guitar yet. bought online and waiting for delivery. i realize it comes with strings but was just curious what others use. i know i'll have to experiment and find out for myself but usually there's one brand that seems to pop up more overall. just trying to get all the help i can as i'm a novice in the electric arena.

Correct a mundo!

Some of my Les Paul guitars came with .010" - .046" nickel roundwounds stock, others featured the .009" - .046" Les Paul Signature set with same bottom and lighter top gauges. In my opinion .010" - .046" feel better.

I use .010" - .046" chrome roundwounds on vibrato guitars including my Floyd Rose Les Paul, and .011" - .050" on all of my hardtail solidbodies.

Archived