Gibson Brands Forums

Overdrive Pedals

Hthomas

Boss's Metal Zone (MT-2) is my personal favorite. It's not a radical distortion but it's one of the strongest and fullest I've ever heard. Also, I use some Proco RAT boxes that's perfect for a gutsy blues sound. The Marshall Guv'nor is another versatile one. I also use an Ibanez Tube Screamer for the softer stuff and Marshall's own distortion effects (MG series have a great bluesy tone while the JCMs are heavier.)

+1 on the OCD. Don't know if it's quite metal though - more of a killer early 70s Marshall thing. I love mine.

If you just want a bit of oomph without any tone change you might try a booster like the DOD OD250. Those can be just the thing for pushing a Marshall a little harder (especially if you already have some overdrive coming from the amp).

Does anyone recomend any certain overdrive pedal?

I'm looking for something that will give my marshall 50 watt a great boost. something that will make it sound more grunge even with the gain turned all the way up.

any ideas?

It depends on what type of 'grunge' sound your looking for in particular. If you're looking for the Nirvana sound, Kurt used a Boss DS-1, which is a really inexpensive pedal. If you're really looking for more of the Marshall distortion though, definatly check out the Marshall pedals, I think my friend Damien told me that the Jackhammer is the closest to the Marshall amp's distortion.

It depends on what type of 'grunge' sound your looking for in particular. If you're looking for the Nirvana sound' date=' Kurt used a Boss DS-1, which is a really inexpensive pedal. If you're really looking for more of the Marshall distortion though, definatly check out the Marshall pedals, I think my friend Damien told me that the Jackhammer is the closest to the Marshall amp's distortion. [/quote']

Im going for the Soundgarden grune style, do you think the Boss DS1 would be good with a marshall with the gain all the way up?

To all you guys suggesting Tube Screamers: He's looking for a HEAVY sound for grunge, not trying to play white boy blues. A Tube Screamer is a solid choice for many applications but I don't think it gets nasty enough for what he's looking to do.

Boss's Metal Zone (MT-2) is my personal favorite. It's not a radical distortion but it's one of the strongest and fullest I've ever heard. Also' date=' I use some Proco RAT boxes that's perfect for a gutsy blues sound.[/quote']

I'll second both of those pedals. The Metal Zone is a little smoother sounding where the Rat is more raw; both will get plenty dirty but the Rat is a little better if you're looking to use it to pummel the gain stage of an amp rather than as a standalone distortion generator.

I use my Tubescreamer to get some more drive from the amp, I usually have the drive set on 7 or 8 and the Tubescreamer on full, it gets a nice dirty sound. I had a Metal Zone and returned it for a Metal Core. To me, it sounds more like my amp is being pushed harder that an outside effect. Usually, I play my amp set clean with the TS9 set on full for nice drive and the Metal Core set halfway and it works out great for me.

Archived