Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson

Diane Lynn

I am a proud new owner of a 2014 Gibson EB 4 string Bass. I started playing guitar about a year ago, and really enjoy it. Recently I started having trouble with my fingers. It was painful to move, and hard to play. I tried a bass, and loved it. It was the week of Christmas, and money was tight. I bought a new Squire P Jazz bass. Last week, looking at New Gibson models, I saw this bass. I ordered it Friday, and it came today. I got the Brilliant Red.

I got my first Gibson last November. It is a Les Paul Studio. Great guitar.

I am now building my Guitar wall in my living room. I now have 7 guitars, and will have room for 12. I have Squire bass, and a Squire Strat, a Ibanez RG, Ibanez SR bass, Jackson Randy Rhoades. I am in the process of acquiring a Fender American Strat, Fender American Jazz V Bass, Ibanez Destroyer, and a Hofner Bass (right hand Paul McCartney).

Any suggestions on my next purchase. I am thinking a Tommy Thayer Epiphone.

Any thoughts.

Diane

Guest GarrettH
Any suggestions on my next purchase. I am thinking a Tommy Thayer Epiphone.

Go for it! or maybe an Epiphone bass like the Jack Cassidy

I tried a Epiphone when I got back into playing again. I was very disatisfied with it. I could not keep it in tune in one session. I had to take a 50% loss to get rid of it.

I read a lot about the Thayer Epiphone, and I am happy with what I read. Tommy Said he took one out of the box and used it in concert, with only being tuned first. I would rather have the Ace Frehley Gibson, but that is a lot of cash. I am a huge Kiss fan, I went to my first Kiss concert in Janury 23, 1978 at Olympia Stadium in Detroit. Excellent show.

• 2 weeks later...

I am down to 3choices. The Tommy Thayer Epiphone, Fender Standard (Made in Mexico) or a 2013 Gibson SG Bass. I have started getting pain in my fingers, making it hard to play a tlead, and I have been playing bass. I noticed my fingers getting stronger from the bass making the 6string easier to play. This will be my last guitar. Wife says no more, and I love her, so last one.

This is my line up:

2010 Gibson Studio

2014 Gibson EB 4 string Bass

2007 Ibanez SR405QM Bass

2011 Ibanez RG370QM (Guitar Center exclusive)

2014 Jackson Randy Rhoades JS32

Squire 3 Tone Starburst W/Tortoise shell pickguard

2014 Squire Jazz Bass

Not sure on year of Squire. New old stock at Best Buy (It was cheap)

Your recommendation?

I just started playing in November December of 2012. My first guitar was a Randy Jackson guitar, that I bought from HSN. A guitar Center opened in Feb 2013, and I was hooked. I sold my Randy Jackson to a little music shop here in Lansing. They still have it. Cant sell it.

Diane

Yes to a Jazz Fretless... [thumbup]

My fretless is a defretted Thunderbird. That one confuses people a lot. It's an Epiphone that started life as a factory second with the active preamp they used to put in them. The preamp is gone, the frets are gone, and the pickups are now Lace Alumatones. It's different, and I love it. So, you don't have to go with a Fender if you want a fretless.

My fretless is a defretted Thunderbird. That one confuses people a lot. It's an Epiphone that started life as a factory second with the active preamp they used to put in them. The preamp is gone, the frets are gone, and the pickups are now Lace Alumatones. It's different, and I love it. So, you don't have to go with a Fender if you want a fretless.

Nice! How do you like the Alumitones? I bought a set off Kelvinator (he digs his) and I'm still deciding where to drop them.

Are you running them passive (no pre)?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a update for anyone interested. In August, I had to sell all of my rig. All my guitar's and amps had to go. I was in desperate needs of cash, and I had to sell everything. I am looking to restart my collection, and am looking for first guitar. I am thinking of a Les Paul LPJ, or a Studio.

Thanks Diane

• 2 weeks later...

This is a update for anyone interested. In August, I had to sell all of my rig. All my guitar's and amps had to go. I was in desperate needs of cash, and I had to sell everything. I am looking to restart my collection, and am looking for first guitar. I am thinking of a Les Paul LPJ, or a Studio.

Thanks Diane

Sorry to hear you had to sell everything; life is full of change, and we never know what's around the corner. In time, I hope you can fill up those hangers again...biggrin.gif

Archived