Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson SG

EvoRider

I bought me my first Gibson SG Standard last night . It is not in purfect shape but i like the guitar. changed out the bridge pickup to a Angus Young sig. and install new strings. I have noticed the finish could use a good polishing. What can i use to clean and polish it? it is dull in some spots. Also the combination lock on the case is messed up. can i replace it or should i take to somebody to repair? I really would like to be able to use the lock on the case. Here is a picture of my new to me guitar i had to use the one on the ad because i havent had time to take my own.

post-29740-031081200 1392310929_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. i will give Virtuoso cleaner a try. I contacted TKL yesterday and they wanted me to send a picture of the lock on the case. I am waiting to here back from them. I know it is not a real exspencive guitar but there is just a feeling to own a Real Gibson. I just cant explane how it feels.... I have waited for a long time. A long time ago when i was in a starting band our rhythm Guitarest my (Best Friend) had a Gibson SG I played Bass back then every time he would set it down i would pick it up and fool with it. we have tried to relocate his old guitar but have had no luck doing so.

Thanks for the info. i will give Virtuoso cleaner a try. I contacted TKL yesterday and they wanted me to send a picture of the lock on the case. I am waiting to here back from them. I know it is not a real exspencive guitar but there is just a feeling to own a Real Gibson. I just cant explane how it feels.... I have waited for a long time. A long time ago when i was in a starting band our rhythm Guitarest my (Best Friend) had a Gibson SG I played Bass back then every time he would set it down i would pick it up and fool with it. we have tried to relocate his old guitar but have had no luck doing so.

My brother has an SG Standard that he bought years ago off a guy for $150, with the case. The wiring was screwed but I dropped in a couple Seymour 57s and it sounds great. I have had Gibson envy ever since. I just got my first Les Paul a couple weeks ago and I'm right there with you about finally having a Gibson. I've been wanting one most of my life and now I have separation anxiety whenever we're apart. I have to bring it with me to work. Enjoy your new guitar brother.

Congrats on your very first SG! There's nothing quite like it. I hope it brings you years of great playing and fun! Enjoy! [thumbup]

This thread got me to thinking about an old SG 250 I used to own. It was a gift from a fellow I bought guitars from for many years until he sold the business and later passed away. Found this in my archives on my band's website as I had removed the page after I sold it. Reloaded the page for everyone's viewing pleasure. Wish I had taken close ups especially now since I no longer own it. As much as I treasured it for the time I owned it, it really was a thin sounding fairly trebly tone for an SG. R.I.P. Fred and thanks for always treating me like a gentleman.

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/GibsonSG250.html

• 1 month later...

I guess that rig was the guy's bedroom setup................... [scared]

[biggrin] It gets pretty loud. I havent had it past 5 yet. Because i cant. Pictures and stuff off the shelves start falling... One day this spring i am gonna set it on the back porch and just see how loud it will go.

I have a Angus Young sig Pickup in the bridge and i would like to get a little darker sound out of my 2006 SG Standard. I moved a cap last night on the tone pot and it seemed to help but it is still bright sounding and dont seem to have as much overdrive as my 2011 Epiphone SG with the same pickup in the bridge location. I have noticed a little darker sound with my Epiphone and it seems that i have to roll my gain back on my amp. Now with the Gibson i have to roll the gain up. I am running a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 Thru my 5150 slant cab. is there anything i can do to the gibson to get a little darker sound?

I have noticed the Epiphone and the Gibson are wired totally different.. but like i said last night i changed the location of the cap on the tone pot. and it did help a little.

I do have a couple of Gibson pickups laying around one is a 490T and the other is a 498T.

I bought me my first Gibson SG Standard last night . It is not in purfect shape but i like the guitar. changed out the bridge pickup to a Angus Young sig. and install new strings. I have noticed the finish could use a good polishing. What can i use to clean and polish it? it is dull in some spots. Also the combination lock on the case is messed up. can i replace it or should i take to somebody to repair? I really would like to be able to use the lock on the case. Here is a picture of my new to me guitar i had to use the one on the ad because i havent had time to take my own.

post-29740-031081200 1392310929_thumb.jpg

Can you make a youtube video of you playing your SG with your full stacks volume on 10?

Archived