Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
James Allen

What I Hate About Amp Demos

So, in the market for a new amp. And have been watching tons of vids about various amps where we are given a "rundown" or "first hearing" of an amp ... And i notice that most vids have some dude playing the amp im interested in but using pedals to show me how great the amp sounds.

I hate that! I want to hear the natural sounds of the amp!

Gotta go play them yourself. Any demo is not going to sound like it will when you get it back to your house, garage, studio, club ect.

And that's what it takes. I hate trying them out at the music store as well. You need to take it to band practice and crank it up

Gotta go play them yourself. Any demo is not going to sound like it will when you get it back to your house, garage, studio, club ect.

Totally agree, especially if the demo's are on youtube and played through pc speakers.

You guys are exactly right but maybe i didnt lay out my argument correctly. Of course you have to demo them yourself. What i meant to convey is from a marketing point these guys try to convince me to buy an amp from them but instead of playing only the amp tones, they hook up pedals. Most of us use pedals BUT it would be nice to hear a demo of nothing but amp.

Kind of like saying, this such and such car is exactly what you need to win races. Now im gonna demo it by adding nitrous to the engine.

If you add nitrous, it isnt necessarily the car i need to win races.

The point is: dont modify the product during the demo.

Or, maybe im just weird ....

If you go to the manufactorers website I know they usually show off the amp naturally or dry if you will. I like you feel the same way. I also like to hear differences between a single coil and also humbucker.

Youtube videos are a terrible metric for judging sound.

The guitar will color the amp, the cable will color the amp, the power supply outlet will color the amp, the microphone used to record sound will color the amp, the mic's preamp will color the amp, compressing the video into file format will color the amp, Youtube will color the amp, your playback monitor or computer speaker will color the amp, and the room in which you watch Youtube videos will color the amp.

Bring your guitar to the music shop yourself, listen for yourself, think for yourself, and choose for yourself.

Not only that, but depending upon the quality and or configuration of the digital cam or digital video recorder, you run into the digital noise-gate that hacks off volume dynamics and compresses the audio signal so you get a very dry/flat representation of sound as recorded by the digital device; especially on YouTube...

Having said that, I do the vast majority of all my own personal research into gear and guitars that I want to try or buy by watching YouTube vids...

While you can get a good general tone under the right circumstances, I've found that room acoustics play a huge part on the over all tone/sound in YouTube vids and the same axe, amp, or rig can sound massively different from one vid to the next so you have to do a tone of listening to many multiple sources to get an overall idea of what piece of equipment sounds like what from watching & listening to vids...

Professionally mixed & produced DVD's is the best sound quality, but allows for signal manipulation in the production process that can and will alter tone...

I also don't understand guys who do tone demos while playing heavy distorted staccato hard-core riffs... How the hell are U supposed to tell anything about the sound when it's that saturated w/distortion and the next note comes in such rapid-fire succession that you cannot hear any resonance for any notes actually ringing-out?!?

Tone demo??? Really??? I'm thinkin' epic fail...

But to each his own...

Yes, the thousands upon thousands, if not tens of thousands, of demos on YouTube can make it difficult to decipher anything tonally out of the gear depending upon the recording dynamics & conditions...

And anyone that pulls out their "smart-phone" to record a live performance and posts it, like it's the best thing ever on YouTube, should be summarily shot slapped because the phone mics being over-driven beyond their capabilities leaving YouTube full of scratchy corrupted audio, for us all to "enjoy," is beyond annoying!!! [cursing]MO-RONS!!! [angry]

What particularly enrages me is some overweight baboon in strange fancy dress consisting of trousers of an insufficient length revealing bare calves tattooed like an aboriginal, a curry stained T shirt and some strange beaded head wear.

He usually begins his video with "Hey whassup Youtube" then goes on to talk for two thirds of the video about this "aahsome" sounding amp, displaying his complete ignorance of...well anything.

If you have the patience to endure this verbal effluvia he then proceeds to play some bad blues on the overdrive channel until he obviously makes a mistake and edits the video to fade. Tosseur !.