Gibson Brands Forums

The 2014 model '1932 L-00'

BluesKing777

I'm surprised they went with a long scale L-00. That's a deal breaker for me. Wonder what this is: an exact replica or a permutation guitar? The latter I suspect.

The L-1 appears to be a rehash of some 5 star models they made previously.

The problem I am starting to see with new Gibson acoustic offerings is they are all permutations of features offered previously. Having lost Ren they are stuck recycling woods and features. Even those repro models jt collaborated on seem to have mainly ended up as recombinations of existing features programmed into the system.

But when Ren was there they still made the meat & potatoes of their production about rehashing glory models, no?

Ren actually made a lot of precise measurements of original pieces and created new CNC programs for the shapes, braces, etc, worked up new production methods. It is not clear whether anyone is doing that 'innovation' side of it any more. What they produce as new models now appear to be recombinations of existing features established while Ren was there.

Ren actually made a lot of precise measurements of original pieces and created new CNC programs for the shapes, braces, etc, worked up new production methods. It is not clear whether anyone is doing that 'innovation' side of it any more. What they produce as new models now appear to be recombinations of existing features established while Ren was there.

Agreed, but you'd still have to say, it wasn't a short tenure, they've probably covered the vintage groundwork they'd want to cover bad the occasional oddity. Bare in mind facts such as every AJ being based on the one model etc.... I do understand your criticism though, in the light of trying to see the positives I'd say at least they're not calling them the L-00 GT, with added oomph for the extra scale length etc...

I suppose they only have a hanful of designs in total, it kind of makes sense from one angle if you tweak them to offer specs some players mighht want that weren't available then or now.

I'll never understand the need to be historically accurate all the time every time--especially when it comes to things like colors etc. Scale length and what not maybe but it's not a big deal to me either way. If you want a short scale L00 there are plenty around. Choice is never a bad thing in my mind.

Looks wise (and what else can we judge now right?) these two are both stunners methinks.

Choice is a good thing and I am by no means knocking the new stuff. The J-15 in particular sounds interesting. Still, there was an originality to new releases when Ren was there which is missing now. Perhaps eventually they will get another luthier there.

Nothing I like better than a sunburst top -- and nobody does it better than Gibson. But I have to say I don't care for the burst on the '32. I much prefer the warmer tones of the '28 model.

Superficial, I know, but to me looks also matter.

Looks good ....... much like to my 2012 L-00 but for the neck specs ..... sure do love mine .... it's a lifetime keeper.

The price looks reasonable, assuming a decent discount.

NICK .... how does it compare with your Legend?

In a recent edition, the L1 was favorably reviewed by Vintage Guitar magazine.

Personally, I rather like variations on a theme, and purchased the new J-15 primarily to sample the tone of the walnut body.

Building the best replica possible certainly has it's place - but at the end of the day, it will still be a new guitar, built in a different factory by different craftsmen & utilizing somewhat altered techniques. No matter how exact, the replica will still be judged on it's own unique merits, as well as being judged against the original for accuracy.

I am not a purist about reproduction guitars, particularly. However, I do wish Gibson would be quite clear about the nature of a guitar they make. Is it a modern version of a traditional Gibson flat top? Is it an exacting repro of a vintage piece? Is it a combination of various vintage features? Lately they have begun to mix everything up.

They call this one a 1932 L-00. And there are some specs you can click on the page linked by the op. Compare to early L-00 specs here Do you see? It doesn't really correspond to anything. Why 32? It probably would have been black and 12 fret with a white pickguard and short scale in 32. I would, by the way, be interested in such a guitar.

I'm surprised they went with a long scale L-00. That's a deal breaker for me. Wonder what this is: an exact replica or a permutation guitar? The latter I suspect.

Jerry, that scale length is quoted at 25", or 1/4" longer than the more common Gibson scale. That's a dealbreaker for you?

The specs of this guitar are getting closer to those of the Legend. Based on the listed specs, the differences I see are scale length (25" vs. 24.75"), hide glue on top braces and neck only, vs. All-hide glue (Legend), "rosewood" vs. Madagascar rosewood (Legend), and a standard case vs. redline repro case (Legend).

Pretty similar in many important ways, for about $2k less in nominal list price.

Well you know it's all good and variety is great. There is a bit of mushiness in the way they are issuing many permutations of each model. There is more emphasis on new combinations of features (the Chinese restaurant feast model of guitar design: 2 from column A...) and less respect for tradition, IMO. Who knows, possibly riffling through all the permutations will yield fabulous configurations that would never have been found by Ren in his painstaking approach to what works.

That Martin clone of an L-00 - ew!

I had to trawl through that website to find the guitar you were talking about, which is listed in the sold instruments section.

One thing that caught my eye among the "sold" Gibsons was what he represents to be a 1941 (!) non-banner J-45. Just a script logo. He says that people like him who have examined "hundreds" (or maybe he said "thousands") of vintage Gibsons know that there are pre-banner J-45's without a banner logo.

Personally, based on all the info posted here by JT and others, I think he is wrong, and that the guitar is probably a 1946 post-banner guitar. He doesn't say anything about an FON, so I don't know how he is dating it. The guitar also has enclosed three-on-a-plate Klusons, which makes me suspicious, as they look original to the guitar.

Anyone here ever done business with this dealer?

Greg is actually pretty knowledgeable with the Guitars... if he says it is what it is.. it is what he says.. Ive known him for years.. need to know more just ask...

Gregs a Nice Guy.. very talkitive, back in the day he was part of Stringed Instrument division in Missoulla we dealt in More vintage Gibson and Martins in a year than most will do in ten..

so over a 5 year period.. we dealt in alot of Guitars...

I don't have a problem with Gibson experimenting with mixing up specs, just think it's stupid to market a guitar with a specific year in the name and every other line in the press blurb being 'period correct', then throw in numerous elements that contradict the idea. L-1 Blues Tribute? Go for it, good on you, it's probably a lovely guitar and we can never have enough small body Gibsons. 1928 L-1 replica? At first glance, wrong sunburst, wrong sound-hole diameter, wrong bridge, wrong bracing pattern, wrong headstock logo. Why not just make it a Tribute? What annoys me is they're using 'painstakingly accurate vintage correct detailing' as the marketing angle on these models but delivering something that is something rather different, and I don't really understand what their logic is: I guess it's either that Marketing and R&D at Gibson never talk to each other, or they just don't care enough to get things right.

It has to be said as well, if they tried anything like this with the features on Les Paul Historic reissues the angry mob would be lighting their torches and marching towards Nashville within seconds of the first press release!

Well, to me a True vintage or a legend or even Guitars that are endorsed after Musisians dont mean a thing to me.. The entertainer never played the guitar or owned the guitar that is being sold , a true vintage or a legend is just over priced.. the Gibson Guitar company for the moneys they are wanting should just be building top notch guitars period.. None of this playing with peoples minds or there pocket books... Just build top notch guitars.. after all there the best they claim.. and make it a option for pickups in acoustics.. till then Ill keep buying Vintage pieces and make sure my money is well spent..

Archived