Gibson Brands Forums

Hows this for a Goldtop

Rabs

DAMN!!!!!!!!! [scared]

$5665

Billy F. Gibbons doesn’t pull any stylistic or tonal punches, so you’d expect his take on the seminal Les Paul Goldtop to be a knockout—and it is.

The first ground-up revision of Gibson’s stunning original solidbody electric in over 60 years is a masterpiece of style. In addition to its luscious goldtop finish, it features a unique pinstripe design created by Billy himself, which is hand-recreated one at a time by respected hotrod-pinstripe artist Rick Harris and a Gibson artist trained personally by Rick. Sonically and visually, the guitar blows the doors off the venue with a neck profile measured precisely from the Rev’s own Les Paul, ultra-light construction, custom electronics, and a pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups.

150 Billy F. Gibbons Goldtops will be carefully hand-aged, with 50 of them played and hand-signed by Billy himself; each of these will have the added kitsch of a Texas-shaped “buckle rash” wear pattern adorning its back. A further 150 VOS models round out the Limited Run of 300 guitars.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Billy-F-Gibbons-Goldtop.aspx

LPR7BGVOAGNH1-Finish-Shot_zps9bf99796.jpg

LPR7BGVOAGNH1-Back-Shot_zpsa09db677.jpg

LPR7BGVOAGNH1-Glam-Shot_zps9a48e632.jpg

Have you also noticed.. No toggle switch :-k

"BILLY’S CHOICE OF TWO VOLUME CONTROLS AND MASTER TONE—WITH NO SELECTOR SWITCH—LETS YOU DIAL IN TONAL NUANCE ON THE FLY."

So i'm guessing both pickups are always on...and you just turn one off if you don't want to hear it.

-Ryan

"BILLYS CHOICE OF TWO VOLUME CONTROLS AND MASTER TONEWITH NO SELECTOR SWITCHLETS YOU DIAL IN TONAL NUANCE ON THE FLY."

So i'm guessing both pickups are always on...and you just turn one off if you don't want to hear it.

-Ryan

Yeah I guess so.. I reckon it would encourage you to do more blending with a setup like that... and one less piece of resistance in the loop.. Interesting.

I saw a thread about this a while ago but can't find it. Odd.....

The other thread had a snap of the Rev's actual G-T and the pin-striping is very different from the Gibson offering.

"In the interest of Science" I'll try to find the other thread so we can all compare the original and the R-I.....

P.

I saw a thread about this a while ago but can't find it. Odd.....

The other thread had a snap of the Rev's actual G-T and the pin-striping is very different from the Gibson offering.

"In the interest of Science" I'll try to find the other thread so we can all compare the original and the R-I.....

P.

Yuppers, and I think the last tidbit we came across was that each one may possibly be uniquely pinsripped and even potentially by the good Reverend Willie G hisself... While I cannot verify the veracity of that rumor, but it does appear that they are all uniquely pinstriped because we've displayed several different versions of this guitar from pics found in various places on the internet including the big sellers and other articles on this Billy Gibbons GoldTop...

Here's the link: Billy Gibbons Goldtop Pinstripe on order from the Gibson Custom/Artists forum...

Yes, that was from the excellent 'Live From Daryl's House' show. Very Very Good!

I can't find the earlier thread in either the Lounge or the LP section. Still Odd.

FWIW here's the Rev's own pinstripe G-T;

GibsonGTBillyGibbonsIII_zps3a6ae899.jpg

Mind you....perhaps he has several pinstripe'd G-T's and they chose one from his collection? Quite possibly, now I come to think about it ! ! !

P.

EDIT : Thanks, Jimi ! That's the thread!......................[thumbup]

is that chip in the back supposed to be texas? If so, thats kinda interesting.

yup

150 Billy F. Gibbons Goldtops will be carefully hand-aged, with 50 of them played and hand-signed by Billy himself; each of these will have the added kitsch of a Texas-shaped “buckle rash” wear pattern adorning its back. A further 150 VOS models round out the Limited Run of 300 guitars.

$5665 is obviously the price of the regular fare.

No prices listed (as far as I can see) for the aged, signed examples.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?.....

And finally; Searcy can be delighted! It's not just another "...aged '59 R-I in a tasteful 'burst...".....lol!

P.

"BILLY’S CHOICE OF TWO VOLUME CONTROLS AND MASTER TONE—WITH NO SELECTOR SWITCH—LETS YOU DIAL IN TONAL NUANCE ON THE FLY."

-Ryan

Thats exactly what he does.

I watched a video of him talking about his guitars without toggle switches.

I too am not a fan of "aged" guitars, but Damn!! that one is one I would love to have

Personally, I find pinstripes on a guitar do absolutely nothing for me...

Not only that but I find a GoldTop to be something special and covering it up with silly paint schemes seems counter-intuitive to the point of a GoldTop to me...

To each his own...

The pinstriped SG on the other hand seems more natural and potentially acceptable, but like I said, pinstripes on a guitar do nothing for me...

Besides...

I want a Danny Kirwan signature R6... [tongue]

Archived