Gibson Brands Forums

Hows this for a Goldtop

Rabs

...This SG makes me want to rip the pickguard off my SG Standard and get at it with a paintbrush. :)...

I trust you'll make a much better job of your SG than I did of my '64 Start 30-odd years ago...........[blush]

What can I say? Mea Culpa. Guilty, Your Honour. It was me and Nobby wot dun it.........and we'd've got away wiv it too but for them pesky kids..........GGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[scared][scared][scared][scared][scared]

Stratpinstripe12lo-res_zps813aa10b.jpg

Thankfully these two terrible photo's are all I have left to remind me of the atrocity I commited in those faraway days of my youth.

At least I had sense enough to test the idea with gouache first........

P.

Art for Arts sake [biggrin] .........................You MUST have liked it back in the day though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uf0E4d9Vng

Nah......

I was an Art Student at the time and.......well........you know..............Subsidised Student Bar and all that jazz.....................

Two days afterwards I washed it off. I had used water-based paints just in case it was as bad as, in fact, it turned out to be.......

Nothing Ventured, though!.....lol!

P.

And washed back on a few 100£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££.

[lol]

Scotland does, indeed, have good water!

No, look up Von Dutch and his amazing work.

Thanks for the head's-up, Riffster. I have just done so! And now I know who Von Dutch (Kenny Howard) was!

[thumbup]

Although I had seen some pin-striping back in the day, of course, I hadn't heard of the 'Kustom Kulture' outside a few obscure references and the art form didn't really take off this side of the pond. Not in Edinburgh at any rate!

I must have been confusing things with the more recently introduced fashion house and associated celebrities?! Hmm....possibly.

I liked this part of his wiki entry;

"Von Dutch is now an American multinational brand licensing company named after Kenny Howard. Considering that the Von Dutch name is now a lucrative, licensed brand, it's ironic that Kenny Howard had famously stated:

"Use any of my stuff you want to. Nothing is original. Everything is in the subconscious, we just "tap" it sometimes and "think" we have originated something. Genes make us more or less interested in certain things but nothing is truely [sic] original! Copyright and patents are mostly an ego trip."

P.

A gold Top with mini humbuckers and an ebony fret board would be much more appealing to me.

+1

That would be nice..love my goldtops,love minis,..but if Gibson can't get Ebony for the custom....I don't think the Deluxe would jump the queue.

I wish I made the kind of money that would make $6K seem like chop change.

I bet you every single one of these guitars will sell, there is a marklet for it and that is why they make them. They are very well made whether that's your thing or not.

Archived