Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Legend Amazon Lightning Deal Until 5pm CST

Red 333

I still say that is the fugliest version of a firestripe pickguard I have ever seen. Then again I have never seen a '42 J-45 with one. Then again, never saw a '42 J-45 without a seven-ply rosette either.

The current Gibson firestripes are not attractive. I have two of them, and was going to replace them with aftermarket guards from firestripepickguards.com, but they are "closed until further notice"!

Only $5100 what a deal ! Put me down for two of them.

Some people, especially those without a friendly 5-Star dealer nearby to negotiate with, might appreciate saving $1700 on what is possibly the best guitar Gibson has made in modern times. I guess some people did, since the deal sold out.

Sorry if I offended you and some of the others with the prospect that some people would spend that much on a guitar.

Red 333

Sorry if I offended you and some of the others with the prospect that some people would spend that much on a guitar.

Red 333

I took it as you meant it as more or less a joke ad not that you seriously thought anyone would jump on the opportunity to lay out that kind of hard earned scratch on the guitar. A little sticker shock now and then is probably a good tghing - makes you feel alot smarter when look aty a guitar you spent alot less on and that you love. Geez, I did not spend that much on my original 1942 J-50. And it has a heck of alot better looking pickguard.

Have there been many of the J-45 Legends on the used market? Might be fun to find one to play. I really have fun playing my TV.

In two years I have seen maybe three come up. Mandolin Bros had one a couple of years ago that got sold as I was driving there to see it. Chicago Music had one at the same time and there might have been one on UGMF, but not sure. I have not seen one in person

Rich

mando had a 2006 for sale for $4250--says it sold but doesn't confirm how much

musicians friend has a 1942 legend "gently used" one right now for $5759 asking.

amazon's price today is $6799 which is not a terribly good deal off msrp by any argument.

i'm not nor think i will ever be in the market for a legend but that price of $5100 new from an authorized seller such as amazon seems pretty good. someone can correct my thinking by all means.

Some people, especially those without a friendly 5-Star dealer nearby to negotiate with, might appreciate saving $1700 on what is possibly the best guitar Gibson has made in modern times. I guess some people did, since the deal sold out.

Red 333

Not your fault that I'm broke! The last guitar I bought was a used Epi Ef500R, for 400 bucks including a new case. I thought that was gonna drive me to bankruptcy!

I'm very thankful that I got my J-45, when I did,because I don't see getting anything really nice, anytime soon!

I took it as I thought you intended it as well, Red. I was a little surprised that all sold.?!

The MSRP and list price on Gibson guitars are all over the map. My new j45 had an MSRP of $4999, a list of $33??, and I paid $2100 new w/warranty, shipped to my home and did not feel I got the best deal I could have. I am not complaining just relating my experience.

Why pay MSRP ($7199) when you can pay Amazon's discount after jacking up the MSRP by $2101 and then giving you a handsome discount of a whopping $400!

Oh and by the way... your order qualifies for FREE SHIPPING! OMG! [thumbup]

Amazon did not artificially increase the MSRP. According to the "Specs" page for the Legend on the Gibson.com, the MSRP is $9,030. They show the MAP of $7,199 on the "home" screen. Thumbs down emotiocn for you [thumbdn].

Red 333

Amazon did not artificially increase the MSRP. According to the "Specs" page for the Legend on the Gibson.com, the MSRP is $9,030. They show the MAP of $7,199 on the "home" screen. Thumbs down emotiocn for you [thumbdn].

Red 333

The current prices and specs on the Legends are a bit confusing. The J-45 Legend specs page has the higher MSRP of $9k for the J-45 , while the J-45 Legend home page has a price of $7199. Same general order of magnitude difference for the L-OO Legend on the Gibson website.

Maybe Gibson has figured out that the really high MSRP drives people away from both he J-45 Legend and the L-OO Legend.

Caveat: neither of the spec pages for the Legends says anything about all-hide glue construction anymore, as far as I can tell, so I don't know what the deal is.

My main concern would be (given the rather hefty price tag) that seeing the three-ply rosette instead of the accurate for 1942 seven ply rosette as well as the pickguard on the J-45 Legend, I would not have alot of faith that the reissue is a spot on reproduction of an original '42. I mean, if they can't even get the rosette right. . .

My main concern would be (given the rather hefty price tag) that seeing the three-ply rosette instead of the accurate for 1942 seven ply rosette as well as the pickguard on the J-45 Legend, I would not have alot of faith that the reissue is a spot on reproduction of an original '42. I mean, if they can't even get the rosette right. . .

see now contrary to my other comment that historical accuracy doesn't really concern me, in this case, if I was ponying up $5k+ for a historic guitar, I'd expect it to be historic. Totally agree with you here.

Early J-45's vary a great bit in many details, including what kind of neck and even bridge they got, not to mention small details like soundhole pufling, tuners, and whether it had firestripe or tortoise pickguard. There's even a 1943 with a Recording King neck. The Legend is an exact repro of someone's 1942 (I forget whose just now, but it was extensively x-rayed and measured), and that's the rosette this particular guitar had.

Red 333

Early J-45's vary a great bit in many details, including what kind of neck and even bridge they got, not to mention small details like soundhole pufling, tuners, and whether it had firestripe or tortoise pickguard. There's even a 1943 with a Recording King neck. The Legend is an exact repro of someone's 1942 (I forget whose just now, but it was extensively x-rayed and measured), and that's the rosette this particular guitar had.

Red 333

The Legend J-45 is an exact replica of Eldon Whitford's 1942 J-45. Since all J-45's in 1942 were made by hand, there are going to be slight differences. Gibson picked one 1942 J-45 to copy and it was a copy of Eldon's.

...The Legend is an exact repro of someone's 1942 (I forget whose just now, but it was extensively x-rayed and measured), and that's the rosette this particular guitar had.

The "someone" is Eldon Whitford. That guitar is thought by many knowledgeable folks to be the best sounding J-45 in existence, which is why it was chosen as the one to copy. And you're right that the rosette, binding, et al., on the Legend match those on Eldon's Banner.

-- Bob R

Added: Oops! Mike beat me to it.

I have not seen a ton of evidence that the '42 J-45s varied that much in "design" as Gibson had not yet felt the full impact of wartime restrictions yet. Build screw-ups did happen though (I own a fine example of this). And variations were certainly be expected from a factory that did not even own a router. I would love to see a pic of the original along side the Legend though. Probably just me being skeptical of sales pitches.

Archived