Gibson Brands Forums

How old is my J200?

kottkesmyhero

Hi -- I got curious recently about the age of my J200, but when I tried to look it up, I found different sites gave me different ages. Can anyone give me a somewhat definitive answer? The SN is A130161. The guitar is somewhat unusual with its non-moustache bridge, but probably not what you'd call "rare" -- or is it?? Not that I'd ever want to sell it!

post-62942-030122800 1392329723_thumb.jpg

post-62942-005339200 1392329739_thumb.jpg

Year(s) Approximate Series Manufacture

1970, 1971, and 1972 100000s, 600000s, 700000s, 900000s

1973 000001s, 100000s, 200000s, 800000s and a few “A” + 6 digit numbers

1974 and 1975 100000s, 200000s, 300000s, 400000s,500000s, 600000s, 800000s and a few A-B-C-D-E-F + 6 digit numbers

Thanks everyone. I learned a lot.

Wikipedia on the Norlin era: "This began an era characterized by corporate mismanagement and decreasing product quality." Hmmm. Well I think my ol J200 sounds pretty awesome just the same.

I also just discovered there's a whole forum on Instrument ID where I should have asked my question. I appreciate everybody's patience!

-s

The Norlin era is generally looked upon as Gibson's darkest hour. And not without good reason.

Mismanagement though began at Gibson years before Norlin ever entered the picture. It started in 1965 when CMI (Gibson's parent company) got a new president. The first thing he did was force Gibson President Ted McCarty out. For the first time in its history Gibson was being controlled by bean counters rather than guys who knew how to build guitars. By the time Norlin decided to get out of the music business and sell off Gibson in 1983 the company was on the ropes. The new owners immediately put Gibson on the chopping block but there were no takers. Say what you want about Henry J. but without him Gibson might very well have gone bankrupt and disappeared.

The Norlin era is generally looked upon as Gibson's darkest hour. And not without good reason.

Mismanagement though began at Gibson years before Norlin ever entered the picture. It started in 1965 when CMI (Gibson's parent company) got a new president. The first thing he did was force Gibson President Ted McCarty out. For the first time in its history Gibson was being controlled by bean counters rather than guys who knew how to build guitars. By the time Norlin decided to get out of the music business and sell off Gibson in 1983 the company was on the ropes. The new owners immediately put Gibson on the chopping block but there were no takers. Say what you want about Henry J. but without him Gibson might very well have gone bankrupt and disappeared.

Ooooooohhhhh and we don't sweep that under the rug here - fortunately.

And further fortunately, , , , then came Ren !

Ooooooohhhhh and we don't sweep that under the rug here - fortunately.

And further fortunately, , , , then came Ren !

Gibson had some folks who knew how to build guitars and run the place properly during those days, guys like Duerloo, Lamb, and Moats who, of course, went on to found Heritage Guitars. Thing was nobody in the head office cared. Ren could not have done what he did without Henry J. having the smarts to stay off his back and let him run Bozeman almost as an independent shop.

Gibson had some folks who knew how to build guitars and run the place properly during those days, guys like Duerloo, Lamb, and Moats who, of course, went on to found Heritage Guitars. Thing was nobody in the head office cared. Ren could not have done what he did without Henry J. having the smarts to stay off his back and let him run Bozeman almost as an independent shop.

If the world only knew what we know about acoustic Gibsons here. . .

Archived