Gibson Brands Forums

Banner SJ

Joe M

A few weeks ago, I posted about what I thought was a Banner J45 RI that I had seen in one of my local shops. I revisited the shop yesterday and the guitar was still there. Not a J45 but a SJ. As I said in my original post, it has the biggest neck on any guitar I've ever played. Except for the neck and the VOS finish, it seems to be the same as a regular production SJ. Of course, Gibson's site has nothing on the model. Has anyone seen or played one or have the specs on the guitar? I played a Sheryl Crow model at the same store and except for the neck, they sounded pretty much the same. Priced the same too.

EDIT: Oppps, hope the title isn't misleading, this is a new, reissue guitar, not the real deal.

It's likely one of the replicas of my 1943 SJ.

I don't have much information of the guitars in the project. This is the only update I've received: "The status of the replicas is this: We did a '42 J-45, an LG-2 Mahogany and a Southern Jumbo. All are sold out.."

That looks to be it! I don't know how accurate a replica it is of my guitar because unfortunately and contrary to original representations, I wasn't offered an opportunity to see any of the 50 made.

SoSweetSJ2735-12_zpsaed16f48.jpgGALLERY_GIT0029023-000_1_images1600.jpg

John

It looks -- to my eyes at least -- as if the Gibson copy (of its own guitar):

- has a logo that goes straight across the headstock while the original looks to be fashionably angled

- has one extra fret

- has a bright orange oval label

On the other hand, it appears that the pickguard placement looks pretty okay.

Not that I would expect a copy to be more like "an interpretation".

Fred

That looks to be it! I don't know how accurate a replica it is of my guitar because unfortunately and contrary to original representations, I wasn't offered an opportunity to see any of the 50 made.

SoSweetSJ2735-12_zpsaed16f48.jpgGALLERY_GIT0029023-000_1_images1600.jpg

Well, it isn't the original wider body binding, and it has a 20-fret board. How hard can it be to cut off the last 1/2" of the board?

(The reason I don't like the 20-fret board is that it disrupts the continuity of the inner rosette. I give Jeremy Fuller a lot of credit for doing a 19-fret board on the Fuller's 1943 SJ, even if it does have a bound fretboard.)

I own a couple of those with the Rosewood back n sides.. from the early 90s.

These were to be precise replicas of a single, unique batch of SJ's: FON 2735. I sent the original guitar plus X-rays of it. It's the only batch with wide purfling.

Anyway, the precise replicas were not to be and I was not destined to see either the prototype or a production model.

These were to be precise replicas of a single, unique batch of SJ's: FON 2735. I sent the original guitar plus X-rays of it. It's the only batch with wide purfling.

Anyway, the precise replicas were not to be and I was not destined to see either the prototype or a production model.

I'm astounded... but then again, I'm not. Not a real classy way to act. Kind of sad.

John

It looks -- to my eyes at least -- as if the Gibson copy (of its own guitar):

- has a logo that goes straight across the headstock while the original looks to be fashionably angled

- has one extra fret

- has a bright orange oval label

On the other hand, it appears that the pickguard placement looks pretty okay.

Not that I would expect a copy to be more like "an interpretation".

Fred

AKA a Woody Guthrie model with a fatter neck and a tortoise pickguard in the traditional position?

BTW, I thought that in the Music Villa video, the J45 spawned by John's project sounded stellar. I think the real test of the SJs should be how they feel and sound. John's original being a rather tough act to follow on that front.

Played an original SJ at the recent So Cal vintage guitar show in Orange County. It was pretty rough, but very similar to the posted sample. It had a great big fat neck and felt fantastic. Some of the reissues have what they describe as a "big round" neck. .95 at first fret and 1.05 at the ninth. And no binding. Sounds very tempting. I love big necks. Even the Martin D 18 Golden Eras are only about .85 at the first fret, though thy do taper to about ,95 at the ninth. Not big enough for me. Funny how most go for a "low profile" citing comfort. I want a handful of neck to grab a hold of!

Swang on.

It makes me wonder why one would ask someone like John Thomas for their guitar, and get x-rays to boot, and then short the project?!! Especially when there are more than a few other SJ's in the line. jt, does your original have a neck like some are describing or is that a deviation too?

It makes me wonder why one would ask someone like John Thomas for their guitar, and get x-rays to boot, and then short the project?!! Especially when there are more than a few other SJ's in the line. jt, does your original have a neck like some are describing or is that a deviation too?

My 1943 SJ, which was used as a model for these replicas, does have a huge neck. I love it. These trussrod-less Banners have a maple "V"-shaped insert in lieu of an adjustable, metal truss rod, resulting in a very light and responsive instrument.

I don't pretend to understand Gibson's decision-making. I do hope that those who bought replicas of my guitars enjoy their acquisitions and hope some day to see/hear/play one.

My 1943 SJ, which was used as a model for these replicas, does have a huge neck. I love it. These trussrod-less Banners have a maple "V"-shaped insert in lieu of an adjustable, metal truss rod, resulting in a very light and responsive instrument.

I don't pretend to understand Gibson's decision-making. I do hope that those who bought replicas of my guitars enjoy their acquisitions and hope some day to see/hear/play one.

Just so you know J.T. I let them use my B-25 so they could get their reissue correct. At the time they said if I let them use it they would give me the first guitar off the line. I agreed. They had the guitar brought in 3 different times for measurements. They poked and prodded and measured the guitar and then went into production. The neck was completely wrong and the color was totally wrong. It wasn't even close. I asked for my promised guitar and the very people you worked with denied ever promising to give me a guitar. They made the promise in front of Ren and another person and they backed me up. That was 5 years ago and I still don't have a guitar.

Frankly, I wouldn't want one anyway. Their reissue is a joke and I suspect the same can be said for the S.J. reissue as well. If anyone wants to play a very nice B-25 come to the "Homecoming this year and I will let you play mine.

Archived