Gibson Brands Forums

super-early ES-175

cliff travis

Hello ! I'm new to this forum (because I can't play a guitar) only had childhood piano lessons and years in the high scool band in the horn section......... now at age 59 kicking myself for the error because I have my Dad's 1949 model ES 175 sunburst he bought new. Has the Gibson hang-tag where he bought ser.no. A 4357 in April 1950. Pop and his brother played weekend sqare dances for a few years in Binghamton, NY before I was born and the guitar basically sat in a corner of the bedroom for 50+ years........... the tortoise shell pick guard has partially deteriorated but the guitar is basically in mint condition ----no buckle rash on the back, no hand/sweat wear on the neck. I have replaced the old broken strings with a set of Gibson Vintage Reissue strings that Pop bought and left in the case unopened. the guitar has been inside a nondescript beat-to-hell old cardboard and canvas case with some ancient picks and a couple of sheets of their repertoir of tunes. I now occasionally play some Joe Pass, plug into my stereo amp and ponder my shortcoming in never having learned to play this magnificent instrument. I see them all over the auctions for $3500-4000------would this one be any more valuable because of its' minty condition or more so its early pedigree? I understand Gibson only made a couple hundred of these in 1949 as it was the start-up year for this model? Any thoughts???

I'd keep it. Buy a small tube guitar amp and take up guitar as a hobby.

The value of something passed down from your family seems different than just money. Sure it's worth something, and you probably can always get money for it, but that's just money. I'd be sorry to see it walk out the door in someone else's hands. It's a gift from your Father, those things you can't replace.

I agree in regards to keeping that guitar. It would be nice however to post jpegs for the rest of us to peruse! Before I left California I made one last stop to the Guitar Center in Hollywood to take one last look at their vintage wall. I was followed into that small area by a lady of about age 78 who was carrying her deceased husband's L5CES from 1947 in basically new condition. She had absolutely NO idea of what the guitar was as the Guitar Center louses were literally panting at the bitt.......I told her 'look can we go outside so I can tell you a bit about your guitar and by the way I can't even begin to afford it!'......just cannot stand seeing people getting ripped off in our wonderful world these days..........yeah KEEP that guitar as a tribute to your dad! jim in Maine

Archived