Gibson Brands Forums

Amps

Andy Trickett

Hi Guys

I need a little advice about amps.

usually when I play a gig I DI into the PA, but I have a few small gigs coming up where I will be playing solo no vocalist - brown trouser moment!!!

I an looking at Fender Acoustasonic 90 - has anyone tried one?? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Andy

I don't know much about amps, but I have a Fishman Loudbox mini that works quite well. If you need Phantom Power for a mic, then the regular loud box is the choice......or an external power supply. Toby Walker uses one in small venues and it fills the room.

I have even used mine when we ran out of inputs on the PA so I would put my guitar through the loud box. It was good enough for library gigs with 150 or so people in an auditorium setting.

Rich

There are a lot of options nowadays - probably too many.

I have several rigs I have used in similar situations, but always with a mike for either singing or "BS" between instrumentals.

Lightest - and it was the cheapest when I got it 10 years ago - is a Kustom 30-watt AE amp. I've used it with a mike for a small AE gig, voice and guitar; I've used it for jazz guitar only, small saloon gigs old rock/blues/country guitar only, and with an interface, as the guitar and vocal "mixer" for recording practice sessions. The new version seems to have been similarly accepted, and accepted better than bigger outfits. Mine has worked well in a full-size 500-some seat theater for an AE-type gig. You'd need to mike it or plug through a board for a rock/country/blues band probably in that kinda venue, but... BTW, I bought my old tube amps with dual input sections (Even my old tube Fender Deluxe Reverb traded for a now-defunct firm's Twin-on-steroids, could run both mike and guitar, as can my mid-60s Fender Bassman cab and head.)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/kustom-sienna-35-acoustic-guitar-combo-amp

I've tried the Fenders of various power levels. Frankly, although I generally like Fender amps (and still have 2 of 'em), I don't care for their AE amps, and that's both for "sound" and "sound vs price" compared to other options. Ditto a cupla other brands that are often mentioned.

A second option I have is a cheap powered mixer of 100 watts, and external speakers. Works fine, again, for AE guitar only or for guitar and vocal. It has the advantage, too, of adding additional mikes or instruments. One major advantage to this is that it's awfully versatile if you add a body or two for a given gig. It never hurts to have a real PA, even an inexpensive one, for various gigs, especially acoustic-type gigs.

If you wanna spend up to a grand, you might consider the Bose or Fishman semi-equivalent "tower" type outfits. I've seen the Bose work quite well for various AE/singer gigs. But a grand is the low end price tag and I think you want more low-end also on the frequency side, so you're talking roughly that minimum, up to another thousand bucks for more power in similar stuff. I'd tend toward the Bose, but don't need one now with my other stuff that works well for anything I'm likely to do in the near future.

A third option is a powered speaker(s) that has inputs appropriate for a mike and AE guitar. I've seen several folks use these quite well in professional "road" gigs.

It's like about anything else, spend your money and take your choice. But it's almost a shock nowadays to see what's available if you started buying such stuff back in the 1960s. Glory be, it's a glorious batch of workable options.

m

Hi Guys

I need a little advice about amps.

usually when I play a gig I DI into the PA, but I have a few small gigs coming up where I will be playing solo no vocalist - brown trouser moment!!!

I an looking at Fender Acoustasonic 90 - has anyone tried one?? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Andy

I have an older Fender Acoustisonic. Its heavy. It does not handle vocals well, does fine with the guitar. For small venue solo stuff, you might seriously look at the Fishman SA220. Handles both guitar and vocals well, is light enough to trundle around. Bought mine used for $600. Good luck.

Another route.....

I have not used it live, but I have an Allen & Heath 4 channel mixer which for the money is just superb - I have been recording my tracks lately straight out of it to my Mac....just Shure 57s sounding really good with the supplied effects!

All you need to add, which I haven't yet, is a powered JBL 15" which are really light these days - for the solo stuff...and maybe an extra JBL 15" for the duo.

I have been using the mixer with headphones to practice, getting used to a live sound.....the Genz Benz 4 ton acoustic amp has spiders making a home in it.

Highly, highly recommend it - Mackie make a cheaper one.

BluesKing777.

Okay... decision made.

So why another response?

Just this:

Use what you decided to use, and consider its strengths and weaknesses.

Keep up with "catalogs" and "the literature" on other equipment that take multiple directions toward the goal.

Odds are good that at some point you'll consider something else - heck you may have no choice in case of fire. But at that point you'll be a far more knowledgeable buyer... You may simply replace what you have or...

m

Archived