Gibson Brands Forums

Attaching strap to LR Baggs endpin

Wee Davy

I'm looking for suggestions for safely attaching a strap to the over sized LR baggs endpin on my Hummingbird Pro.

I tried enlarging the existing hole in my strap but I'm not happy with the fit.

I want to feel safe when using a strap standing up.

I'm looking for suggestions for safely attaching a strap to the over sized LR baggs endpin on my Hummingbird Pro.

Either a strap lock or you can go old school and use the rubber washer from a Grolsch beer bottle. Works wonders. Bonus points for using 'wee' in your user name. Good lad.

This arcane subject came up once before, and it turned out that some of the American cousins have some sort of plastic jackplug with an enlarged disc at the base. It can be inserted into the LR Baggs endpin once the strap has been attached, whereupon the disc acts as a sort of straplock. Apparently it doesn't engage the battery, because it is made of plastic. I could draw various analogies, but I prefer to leave things to ParlourMan's overactive imagination.

For what it's worth, I ain't found a solution I'm happy with yet - and most of my flattops are AE and most have that kinda jack.

I keep thinking that somebody's gotta invent something like a "vicegrip" pliers, but until then... I've tried a number of "suggested solutions" I still didn't trust. So now ... I'm just awfully careful.

m

Looks to me just a convoluted way to justify the $10 , a grolch bottle thing works with the same methodology.

Let us know how you get on when it arrives !

Electric, acoustic whatever, never came across a better / less hassle-free method than the Grolsch tops. Splendid solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Strapkeeper fitted this morning .

Fantastic fit and I'll have complete confidence in it.

Thanks again for all your contributions.

I did try the Grolsch method but the Baggs endpin plus my strap was too much for it.

WD

I received 100 Grolsch Gaskets today from L D Carlson, found on ebay. They work just great on standard guitar strap buttons.

Not so good on my acoustics with pickups installed. I'm using Switchcraft endpin jacks and the gaskets wont stay on with those. The total thickness of the leather strap and gasket prevents the gasket from getting a good grip, and it jumps off. With a strap of thinner material it might work?

JB

• 1 month later...

That StewMac product looks like a larger version of what Dotneck described above. I have also been doing the same thing (I screw it on "upside down").

I unscrew the decorative nut on the jack...put hole in the strap over the exposed threads...then screw the nut back onto the threads.

• 4 weeks later...

I received the Acoustic Strap Secure in the mail today and put it to use on my Banner J-45 right away. It's a great product, installs easily and holds the strap securely attached to the guitar. No more worry about the strap slipping off while playing.

I'll order a couple more for my other acoustics with endpin jacks in them. At $14 from StewMac this is a cheap insurance against mishaps!

JB

I actually took the electronics out of my Hummingbird, but when it was installed I made the strap hole a little bigger and used a zip tie to pull it tight.

Snipped off the excess and works like a charm. Once I put a strap on my guitar, I usually don't take it off so the zip tie works great. Simple and effective.

post-63357-070786000 1398602467_thumb.jpg

Archived