Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hairy Dave

New strings

I'm very bad at changing strings - probably managing one change a year. However, I reckon I'll start to do it more often after my most recent change (last Saturday). I put D'Addario PB Lights on my J45 Custom and have to say the sound is great. Not sure if it's down to the choice of string or the fact that they're new and ANY string was gonna be better.

Now that I'm in the mood for changing more regularly, does anyone have any suggestions as to which strings I should try next? Rosewood back and sides.

I always recommend and use Martin SP Acoustics Light-Mediums or Lights on my Gibsons. I like the 80/20 Bronze ones as they're a bit less bright than the phosphor bronze ones.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hi Dave,

I tried the Martin SP Lifetime PB 12's. They were unbelievably brassy initially, almost took them off. Once they settled down, they sounded good and the tone lasted. I've got Curt Mangam PB 12's on now and they are by far the best sounding strings I've had on my J45 Custom. Just because I like them doesn't mean you will. I've tried at least 6 types of strings but I think I'll be using these for some time to come. Good luck with your search.

I prefer the tone of older, worn in strings ever since I heard an old cassette tape from Amos Garrett, saying he left his strings on until they literally rot off. He was referring to his tele, but I came to appreciate older, worn in strings on all my guitars (previously I had been sucked in to changing them frequently). Older strings cut down the jangly highs and mellow out the tone. I prefer a warm, fat tone. Fortunately my hands don't sweat, so rust is not a problem. Change 'em about once a year, or maybe 9 months. Don't like bronze, so use nickel. They just seem more "vintage" and warmer to me. Currently John Pearse, but want to try the Tony Rice Monels, (that is a guy with some serious tone) now they're making light gauge. Other fans of worn in strings, include Steve Cropper (apparently would rub Chap Stick on new strings to break them in) and Eddie VanHalen. He once said if he caught his roadie putting on new strings, he'd ring his neck. Only changes 'em when they break. On the other hand, I remember an interview with the the late, great Mike Auldridge saying he changed his strings (on his dobro) several times during ONE recordings session.

Swang on,

I love the sound of Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb lights on both my Advanced Jumbo and the Songwriter Deluxe Studio, both rosewood back and sides. I tried the 80/20s and wasn't a fan of how they break in. Another string I like is the Martin Clapton's Choice set, I use them sometimes on my Yamaha LL16 to tame the overly bright nature of the guitar.