Gibson Brands Forums

The... lets hear you do better thread

Rabs

So we were talking about Queen on another thread and the song Innuendo and I was saying how I liked the spanishy bit in the middle and all of a sudden a guitar was in my hands and I had to try and learn it..

Im a by ear player always have been.. Ive done some pentatonic learning but its limited.. So I just work it out bit by bit (like I guess a lot of people do)..

Last night I spent an hour or so learning the main lead pattern (the chords are easy) and im not used to playing something like this but I usually pick things up quickly.. tonight I had a second session...

now I may regret doing this (cos im really not a great player) but I decided to share my progress with you (and really just for fun) send out a friendly challenge on, can you do better in one and a half hours of learning something completely new.. I do ok till the last run where I, errrmmm, improvise :P (every time I hear it, it makes me laugh :))

See what you think of my progress.. Id like to get that last bit down too, but im not sure I can do that run (ive never been good at that).. and then get all the little embellishments right. (its been ages since I pushed myself this hard learning something and its been great fun, I need to do it more :))

Also as a side bit of interest.. how do you learn? Do you need the sheet music or tab? I usually just play along with the track until I pick the notes out.

https://soundcloud.com/rabs2012/rabs-innuendo

I need sheet music to at least get me started. I am by no means a fancy player. I strum it out. I just don't have the coordination or finger length to do extensive runs or anything. Before my vision went really bad on me in HS, my crowning achievements were being able to play"And I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" by Elton John, was *just* getting a hang of "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton and "Hysteria" by Def Leopard. I usually muck around on the guitar playing "I Used To Love Her" by Guns N Roses or "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty. I know I'll never knock anyone's socks off with my playing or be a concert guitarist (my teeny tiny fingers see to that! [cursing] ), I just played when I was alone. I've been practicing "Woman" by John Lennon, but some of the chord changes are a bit weird to me and I get frustrated and have to walk away from it.

I tend to use tabs to get the main jist of a song, then I like to add my own "flair" to it. This post reminds me of a competition I saw in a guitar mag once where they printed a basic tab and then asked their readers to play it in their own style, adding to it as they wished. Might be something fun for all of us to try out.

Btw, your master blaster track is great

I tend to use tabs to get the main jist of a song, then I like to add my own "flair" to it. This post reminds me of a competition I saw in a guitar mag once where they printed a basic tab and then asked their readers to play it in their own style, adding to it as they wished. Might be something fun for all of us to try out.

Btw, your master blaster track is great

Cheers man.. I forgot about that, I just looked and that was over a year ago [scared]

Sadly I think that was probably the last time I tried learning something new... To busy building them, need to learn more.. and I always enjoy it.. Its just finding the time and having the patience.

[thumbup]

Cheers man.. I forgot about that, I just looked and that was over a year ago [scared]

Sadly I think that was probably the last time I tried learning something new... To busy building them, need to learn more.. and I always enjoy it.. Its just finding the time and having the patience.

[thumbup]

Well, you have the honour to meet the challenge. [thumbup]

Brian May had this part played by Steve Howe then as credited with many thanks in the album booklet. Think I would have it played by the bandmate on the other guitar [biggrin]

Well, you have the honour to meet the challenge. [thumbup]

Brian May had this part played by Steve Howe then as credited with many thanks in the album booklet. Think I would have it played by the bandmate on the other guitar [biggrin]

Indeed I am honoured to be part of a fine tradition [thumbup]

Interesting... and Steve, Brian and myself are all English :-k

Yeah classic Spanish Phrygian scale there. Really great stuff. Nice work with it! Tabs are useful but nothing beats the ear.

Lol.. I had no idea... thanks for that info.. I can look into it a bit more now [thumbup]

Saw this vid... interesting.. playing a C Major scale over an E or Em..

Archived