Gibson Brands Forums

Playing for yourself ...

Karloff

This might have been a thread already, but...

When youre just sitting around the house, what do you play , songs / artist, for your own enjoyment. When I play my electrics, i usually put in some blues, or blues based cd's, buddy guy, clapton, bonamassa, kw shepherd and just jam along with the cd.

when its acoustic, more times than not, it's John Prine, or a few i've written ...

how about you folks ?

Acoustic and Jazz stuff, I do a bit instrumental, finger-style alternate tuning solo pieces.

I'm in a few bands, cover band and originals as well as a duo with the guitar player from the cover bands, so I usually have some sort of home work to do, (learning parts/harmonies/studying vocals)

I also play Piano, so I tend to split me time with that too, (solo pieces plus the stuff to nail down for the cover band/duo.)

So I feel that I need to stay pretty busy just to stay ontop of the stuff I need to be sharp with, and then there's the stuff I want to do myself, as well as working the vocals which IMO needs as much practice as any instrument you play with your hands

,,,there's never enough time.

Hmm.. I do whatever strikes me at any given moment :)

Like most I will play along with tracks.. But what I often find myself doing is going through the effects on my digital 4 track and then try and play something that is attune to the effect im on.. Theres like 80 effects on it so I can sit for hours just doing that :)

The other favourite is to use my looper or my 4 track to lay down a rhythm track and then use that to practice lead over...

Its all good [thumbup]

Everything I know, and some I don't! [biggrin]

I relate to that almost 100%. The problem is I usually find the don'ts outnumber the do's.......................[laugh]

Anything from trying, despairingly, to impro' some old cliche'd jazz standards like 'September Song' to "Play-Along-a-Miles-Davis" (cheers, Dem00n![thumbup]).

When I get tired of Failing at these I play Blues Pentatonic. Probably.

P.

Usually I jam around my own songs. This seems lots of challenge in itself to me. The bandwidth of my taste and creativity is fairly large, and I ended up with playing a bit of everything over the years. So I still play some funky chords, some power chords, even some jazzy chords sometimes, and same with grooves.

When soloing, it's the like, too. I play nothing specific with any significant virtuosity I guess.

Try to imagine that recently I composed the first absolutely pure rock'n'roll song since 1982 - it's the second one I ever did. And among over hundred song lyrics in my life, these were the first that made me compose a rock'n'roll - the 1982 song's lyrics were written by my band's manager that time [scared]

Sometimes I fall for trying something I just got hooked to by listening to it, but I usually don't stay long with playing or trying exactly that but start to fool around with it after a few dozens of measures. ;)

when its acoustic, more times than not, it's John Prine, or a few i've written ...

how about you folks ?

This, totally [thumbup] Lots of acoustic... my stuff, and Prine, Townes VanZandt, Guy Clark, etc

Like most I will play along with tracks..

I never do this actually. If I'm on the electric (and alone) I generally just make crap up.

I spend most of my unfocused time focused on mood [biggrin]

There's a certain mood that I've been trying to capture for a very long time. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it escapes me. When it's there nothing else matters. Over time I'm able to capture it more frequently and for longer periods.

Wine is usually involved ...

Usually a mixture of classic/80's guitar based songs (the few I actually know) and just my own stuff.

I use my playing time as my relaxation/therapy time, so it often depends on my mood.

Lately I've been working on getting things that are in my head into my hands......something I've never been very good at, but feel like I've made improvements as of late.

What ever sooths me and spikes that "passion" is what I enjoy playing.

Been kicking around the idea of putting together a little garage band, so the few songs I know always get a run through just so I have a couple tricks to bring out if the situation comes up..lol.

NHTom

I generally find a blues or jazz backing track and noodle around with some modes.

Occasionally I'll dig out some lead sheets and practice chording and playing rhythm. In those cases the songs are ones that are slightly over my comfort level so I can practice the more difficult passages (dim and aug chords, barre chords that I don't frequently play, slash chords, etc.) Or I work on playing easier songs and try and work in lead runs with the rhythm.

If I'm being lazy, I'll just make crap up. On acoustic I'll sit back and play with resonant tones, drone rhythms combined with pentatonic lead notes (usually combining A and D pentatonic).

lol, i dont wanna know anything about you guys playing "with" yourself ...

And for this we are forever grateful.

But oh the stories.......

Kidding!!! Just kidding!!

Sheesh...

lol..

I get on songsterr and try to learn anything that strikes my fancy.

Love UFO, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Zep, Beatles. Yes, Sabbath and I could go on and on.

Ya me too. It's not a bad site. Did you ever sign up for the paid membership?

I have had it for a couple months. It's not a bad 10 bucks a month.

Wine is usually involved ...

Lol,, same here. Except after 3 or so things get sloppy.

Then it's time to just throw on a drum track and fart around. lol.

I wish I could say "this" or "that."

Problem is, it all depends on the environment on a given day.

The past two weeks work schedules have been from awake and shaving to grab the glass of water and pulling up the blanket. But... I've been playing guitar strictly between my ears. E.g., mentally playing a moving bass run counterpoint to fingerpicking Waltzing Matilda in C. How about thinking it in A? Hmmmm. Sounds like fun...

m

I usually start by doing warm-ups and then try to come up with new ones to challenge my technique. Then it's usually a Rush tune, most of the time YYZ to finish my warm-up. Then I'll play whatever I feel like doing that day. Could be blues, could be me just rambling with the recorder on, could be more Rush, could be some jazz, could be a new tune I'm trying to learn, could be me playing along with a backing track, etc. Right now I'm working on finishing my recording room. Once that's done I'll be working on a new instrumental, which I've had in my head for quite a while.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac is my #1!

I am inspired on so many levels by so many of their songs!

I like very many of John Mayall's BluesBreakers with both Clapton and Green...

I fall back on Albert King alot too.

Freddie King is very fun and inspires me alot. I like his cover of Remington Ride but just can't find the feel of it for myself...

Clapton from many different eras and themes he went thru!

Some Allman Brothers for sure...

I also cruise YouTube for backing tracks and anything that inspires me gets downloaded, converted, and uploaded to my MP3-player/iPod and I play to alot of Blues backing tracks!

I'm a Blues Votary so 90% of what I play and play-to is Blues, but I have some very different musical inspirations and the bulk of my original songs aren't 12-bar and I'm not even sure how I'd categorize them...

Amar Sundy, Robben Ford, Davy Knowles... The list goes on and on and I have a large music collection on my iPod and whatever mood strikes me I play thru one amp and I plug my axe into another & play to it...

British Blues is probably my biggest influence and inspiration!

I also listen to alot of stuff I don't try to play to; Peter Frampton, Buddy Guy, Roy Buchanan and tons and tons of guitarists...

Archived