Gibson Brands Forums

multiple guitars . what's it all about

blindboygrunt

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a total of 6 guitars. Most of which are decent quality epiphone electrics which I don't play much. Then i have my 2 Gibson acoustics that get played daily. I do plan on getting one more acoustic and then I'll stop for a while. Even though I'm nothing special at guitar, I found a hobby I truly enjoy and that truly makes me happy. And as a college student right now who's blessed enough to not have to pay bills or worry about tuition costs, my money can be spent mostly on what I please. Now I do have a job because I wanted to instill a work ethic in my life and to make sure I understand the value of a dollar (working on my business major haha) but I love my guitars. They each tell a different story for me. And I get a different sound for each and it alters my playing style quite a bit. I'm not entirely sure I'll ever reach a limit of "too many" guitars. I guess I'll buy as I go. And If I end up selling some then fine. My thought process for now is to only buy within my means so I won't be forced to sell unless I simply just want to. But I'm fine whether I have 1 guitar or 100.. Just as long as I have one I enjoy, I'm a happy person.

Seeing the Martin D18v in your list reminded me....

The pawn shop about 4 hours drive from me, (luckily - I've been that way a few times in a fever), has a 2003-4 Martin D18v, which can be sensational guitars. I notified a few guitar playin' friends, but they turned their noses up for various reasons, and it is still there and I can't believe it.

I have the om18v, (incredible) and don't like D sizes, but they are on very plain faced guitars. A closer inspection reveals some quality timber!

Their loss, some afficianado will grab it.

BluesKing777.

The D-18V is a tremendous guitar. I bought mine used locally a few years back. One strum is all it took -- feather light, you can feel it vibrate through your chest. I'd rank it above my HD28 because I'm partial to hog guitars.

To me, multiple guitars is about practicing with a different one every day for two weeks...and pulling something out of each of them. Plus, it keeps the practicing new as each sounds and response a bit different. Then, I go back to and put whatever I've experienced with the differnt guitar into my main guitar (a Gibson CS J-45 Reissue.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

How much are smokes in your various countries? I see the brand I smoked are now $Aus 25 a pack now - approx $US28.....

That's a whole lot of geetars!

Marlboros that I used to smoke are nearly £8 ($13.34) here! Quit over 5 months ago and gone onto those electronic cigarettes - they're incredible! Haven't wanted to touch a normal cig since, and saved over £600 ($1000) in the process, although I don't know where it's all gone...I've used a tracking app and it says I've eliminated 2000 cigarettes over that time. Puts into perspective how much I used to smoke.

Regarding multiple guitars; I just like them - the look, feel and sound - so want them! If I had unlimited funds I'd buy loads, no matter how simliar to what I'd already got - J-35, J-45, J-50, vintage, new - but as it is if I'm considering a new purchase it would have to be something completely different from what I currently have. I had serious GAS for a new J-35 but couldn't justify the purchase considering how close it is to a J-45. (Ugh, now I want one again.

I have owned a couple of dozen different guitars since about 1972. Last year my collection topped out at 11 guitars. It has been the result of the search for the perfect guitar, a few wrong choices and sometimes just the flavor of the day. I took a hard look at my collection which was taking over my humble SF home and realized I had some nice ones that I have not touched for years. I am in the process of downsizing but it is not easy. I have gotten rid of a few that caused me to later question the decision (Keb Mo, ES-330VOS and a perfect 1969 Martin 00-16c) but it is part of a larger process to downsize all of my stuff so I am good with it. I am at the point now where I could let my last electric go (Les Paul Mahogany Studio) and I have a rare Marshall 1987X-PW (Paul Weller) amp I am probably going to sell.

Here is what I have now...

2009 J-45TV, 2012 LG-2 Banner Reissue, 2013 LG-2 Mahogany Banner, 2000 Martin D-28 (no longer played but gift from wife), Les Paul and Marshal Amp, Gretsch Jim Dandy (just acquired travel beater...), Homemade classical

The two LG-2s could get converted into one LG-2 someday...I know what I like about each and would be happy with one with right specs. Here is where I want to be.....

J45TV

LG-2 with 1 3/4 nut, thicker but not baseball bat profile neck, adirondack spruce top, rectangular bridge, smaller frets, teardrop guard.

One classical (I am building another now)

One beater

I think my playing was at its best in the nineties when I had one guitar (Flamenco)....I was more focused on music and less on stuff. I could probably be content with the right LG-2.

I never saw the need for a bunch of guitars, but I certainly don't fault anyone who enjoys owning or collecting multiple instruments. For 35 years I had only the Martin HD-28 and the Guild F212XL. Back when I was gigging a lot I thought I needed a back up for each so I did have a 60's-era J45 and an old D12-20, but they never really got used so neither of them stuck around long. I never saw the need for various guitars for various styles or song types - everything sounds good on a good guitar. I've wanted a J200 forever, and since I'm not getting any younger I decided to spring for one. Love it and it's the current fave, but I could never part with that Martin that's been all over the country with me. I also wanted an inexpensive reso so I picked up the Regal at the same time. I don't plan on adding or changing anything.

I really enjoy the variety in type and sound. Years ago when I was into gigging, I never had more than 2 or 3 guitars - an acoustic, an electric, and #1. When I got out of it (well, for the most part), I started accumulating guitars and eventually I got up over 12. A few years ago I turned over a bunch of them, made a pile of money and now I've got 19. Every month I play through the whole collection and love every minute of it. . B)

In the mid '70s I had a number of "playing out" guitars used for very different purposes.

I had gotten myself down to a board guitar (Guild S100c that's pretty much an SG clone), two full hollow archtops, and two of the first generation of Ovation AEs, a nylon "country artist" and an "electric legend." That's six, and was down from as many as 20, but more than a cupla years earlier when I was just doing 3-night country saloon gigs. That doesn't count an occasionally-used electric bass, a cupla mandolins and a banjo - and a fiddle I gave up on, but was a special gift from a now-passed fiddler I backed up for around eight years or so.

I was gigging most weekend nights still, but also working hard to promote a state fiddling contest for the US Bicentennial. The Ovation steel string was perfect to use both acoustic with the fiddlers and AE in the saloons for country. The nylon kept me doing some classical stuff and has been used since then for some AE instrumental gigs every cupla years. The archtops were used in country/rock gigs in nicer weather; one played better, the other was more stable in poor weather, the "board" was used when weather was awfully cold and there were miles to travel.

I love playing a wide variety of music. Frankly I have four big-body wood AEs (still have the Ovations but largely for sentimental reasons although they're quite functional and very playable) and I'm looking to give away at least one of 'em to a teen who needs one but ain't got the cash. I use one of 'em - one of two depending on weather/venue - if I'm doing some old time/old country acoustic material that's flatpicked.

But... mostly when I'm playing out "solo," depending on circumstances I tend to use my least expensive AE, a little Epi PR5e that's almost identical size and shape for a flattop compared to the ES175 shape I really am most comfortable with. The 16-inch lower bout is also about identical to the classical guitars I started with. Go figure. As an AE, the little Epi works marvelously through a board and can do about anything from fingerstyle jazz to cowboy. It ain't a strummer, IMHO, so it ain't never strummed.

I just got an experimental guitar - an Epi EL00 Pro. It's a small body like the L Gibsons, but with a far different shape from what I normally play. The reason I got it regardless of my affection for that silly PR5e that works so well is that it has the shorter scale I prefer. If it works, I may consider a Gibbie version. If it works as well as the PE5e... Hmmmm.

For what it's worth, in ways I can't find "the" guitar I really want 'cuz it ain't made. That Epi PR5e is doggone nearly identical in size and concept to the 1950s Gibson CF100e. A friend has two - but they're staying with him and his kids when he's gone. A 24" scale on an all-wood AE of that shape would cover most of my "acoustic" needs and wishes except for the oldtime/acoustic country strumming/flatpicking guitars. The CF100e from the '50s or a limited '90s reissue are way too high priced for this old picker.

As for electrics, I still have the old Guild, a cupla semis identical except for color (I'd swap or sell one), two of the archtops from the '70s and two newer ones for bad weather hauling. I have an inexpensive 12 flattop dread with a mag pup that's seldom used but I plan to get back into this summer, although I may get an AE 12 too... Two basses, one short, one long scale are both probably keepers although I'd dump the long scale.

Bottom line is that each has a place for a reason - except two and the long scale bass.

Since the little Epi L ain't been outa the case in the week since I bought it, I can't speak to its functionality except that it did well in the store on one of my once or twice-annual trips to the "city." But if it works, an upgrade to a Gibson "L" and an AE mid-size 12 are still possibles. Dunno what brand for a 12 since it doesn't appear Gibsons or Epis are made in that sorta configuration. I'd kinda like a good classical again, too... but...

Bottom line... Each guitar brings something different to the table, if only for a slightly different player geometry. That means "we" play each somewhat differently due to that difference in geometry, even if we only play in one genre, playing style and concept.

m

I'm at 40+ right now, pretty evenly mixed between acoustics and electrics. No practical reason to have that many. In my case, it's not about having a wide palette of tools to compliment certain songs or tunings, or anything like that. I just like and appreciate them as instruments and objects and vehicles of inspiration, and feel fortunate I can be the caretaker of this many. If I was even more fortunate, I would certainly have even more, just because.

I will say that most of acoustic cravings have subsided with the addition of my Legend J-45, though I would like an Original Jumbo at some point.

Red 333

The painful fact is that I can barely play guitar, and not sing in tune to save my life, still I own twelve of the best guitars out there.

I appreciate guitars on so many levels. They are beautiful works of art, that happen to sound great, and I love surfing the web reading forums etc just as much as playing. It is the perfect hobby for me. Some people have summer houses, or motor cycles. I have guitars...

Lars

I appreciate guitars on so many levels. They are beautiful works of art, that happen to sound great, and I love surfing the web reading forums etc just as much as playing. It is the perfect hobby for me. Some people have summer houses, or motor cycles. I have guitars...

Lars

Agree totally. If it makes you happy, it is indeed the perfect hobby for you, mate! [thumbup]

Is it a conscious effort to make sure you play each one ?

Do you play them in an order?

I'll reiterate - have as many as you want . just wonder what a fella does with 15 guitars. I admire aussies answer of ' I just like having them' . a J200 is a work of art, an alternative to a painting. I can understand .

Cheers guys!

More power to your elbows .

I have only one guitar. Though I am lusting after another acoustic just for some variety and because I think they're beautiful. (I really want an LG2....) But I am seriously considering buying an electric, if only because some of my friends and I have this "band" and we're playing punk and garage (not my chosen genres) and the more I play with them, the more stupid I feel on my acoustic. I think having an electric too could be a lot of fun, though it's not going to be my focus. I'm mostly a beginner and just getting into playing.

I have only one guitar. Though I am lusting after another acoustic just for some variety and because I think they're beautiful. (I really want an LG2....) But I am seriously considering buying an electric, if only because some of my friends and I have this "band" and we're playing punk and garage (not my chosen genres) and the more I play with them, the more stupid I feel on my acoustic. I think having an electric too could be a lot of fun, though it's not going to be my focus. I'm mostly a beginner and just getting into playing.

Get yourself a Mexican Strat or Tele -- they are cheap enough, especially used and play really well. I'm partial to Tele's -- they're ballsier :)

I have one Gibson . I'm lucky enough to have a second guitar , but thats partially down to the fact that it didnt sell when I got the J45.

More than I need. Happy man . blah blah

To those that have 3,4 ,5 and more... Is it a case of wanting more sound scope ?

If I hear a song that inspires me to learn it , then I'm forced to grab my guitar (which I adore the sound of) and learn it.

Do you guys hear a song and , if its neil young song , grab the martin? Etc etc....

Do you acquire guitars to have more hope of replicating the particular sound you hear ?

Or do you just like a big rack of guitars ?

No judging here I promise , just wondering. If i won the lottery I'm not sure ,even then , I'd have 15 acoustics.

Its a 'mindset', BBG ! Either that, or a 'mental disorder'.....I am afraid that I am 'chronic' and IT is 'terminal'..... [unsure]

Either, you 'got it' or you don,t......

If a man must go through life with "one woman" than he should....at the very least.....be allowed 'many guitars' [thumbup]

Perfectly put, Lars.

Whenever I play something with cowboy chords in G, for example, I tend to gravitate to my J-185 or other larger guitars. It just sounds good. Now some of those have mediums on them. I have a CJ-165 rosewood with lights on it and very low action. It's wonderful for certain types of jazz things or stuff with some heavy barring. I often keep one guitar tuned down a half step or a whole step. Certain tunes find a home on certain guitars... All good cheap fun.

I guess we (my wife and I) are sort of an extrema -- I have talked about this before and I wrote up sort of a summary before.

We have about 100 vintage guitars -- Martins and Gibsons.-- and a lot of banjos, mandolins, basses, and other stuff.

For us (now retired) it is a life style -- driven by a lot of factors -- sound, history, community, music presentation and collaboration, .....

I'll give you an odd aspect of our life which only emerges if you are heavily into sound nuance and musical collaborations and you have a lot of instruments. We often go out several times a week. When you have as many instruments and thus available sounds as we do, choosing the right instruments becomes a major part of preparing to go out. What would be just perfect for the event, the participants, and the audience? In addition, the sound scientist in me knows the importance of context in understanding the tone of an instrument, so every outing is also a chance to extend my knowledge even as I have a good time.

I guess I'll post a few pictures.

1930s Gibsons

30gibs.jpg

1940s Gibsons

40Gibs.jpg

Older stuff

a1s.jpg

30 Martin dreads

30mardreads.jpg

Pre 1920s banjos

b1s.jpg

Enough for now.

Best,

-Tom

I guess we (my wife and I) are sort of an extrema -- I have talked about this before and I wrote up sort of a summary before.

We have about 100 vintage guitars -- Martins and Gibsons.-- and a lot of banjos, mandolins, basses, and other stuff.

For us (now retired) it is a life style -- driven by a lot of factors -- sound, history, community, music presentation and collaboration, .....

I'll give you an odd aspect of our life which only emerges if you are heavily into sound nuance and musical collaborations and you have a lot of instruments. We often go out several times a week. When you have as many instruments and thus available sounds as we do, choosing the right instruments becomes a major part of preparing to go out. What would be just perfect for the event, the participants, and the audience? In addition, the sound scientist in me knows the importance of context in understanding the tone of an instrument, so every outing is also a chance to extend my knowledge even as I have a good time.

I guess I'll post a few pictures.

1930s Gibsons

30gibs.jpg

1940s Gibsons

40Gibs.jpg

Older stuff

a1s.jpg

30 Martin dreads

30mardreads.jpg

Pre 1920s banjos

b1s.jpg

Enough for now.

Best,

-Tom

I salute you but I would be overwhelmed by all of that. More of a museum than a personal collection IMHO. I love my little assembled collection but I don't wish to be totally consumed by it. I think I find what you have there intimidating at some level but I enjoy looking at it from afar. Cheers and here's to being in the right place at the right time with knowledge, appreciation, vision and, of course, cash.

Archived