Gibson Brands Forums

Bridgeplate Problem on TV Bird?

littlejohnny

~250/yr x 8 yrs = ~ 2000+ guitars.

Nah.. get the genealogy right... slim (middle initials "GC") is Tom (tpbiii)'s long lost son! Tom just gets slim's vintage leftovers.

Ya.. it was alot of Guitars... Those were the good ole days.. Not so much now..

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a look just now at the guitars I have sitting out with an inspection mirror I got at a hardware store (quite a bit like the thing a dentist uses). My two 165s ('06 and '08) and a 185 ('08) all have very clean looking holes in the bridge plate. Minimal tear-out. The central location holes (dowels?) were well placed and posed no issues for ball ends.

I took a look just now at the guitars I have sitting out with an inspection mirror I got at a hardware store (quite a bit like the thing a dentist uses). My two 165s ('06 and '08) and a 185 ('08) all have very clean looking holes in the bridge plate. Minimal tear-out. The central location holes (dowels?) were well placed and posed no issues for ball ends.

I believe you, I've no doubts you would have sniffed it out had something been wrong.

I think they are misfiring in two areas at the factory. One, the process to drill the holes. Two, what about the inspection? Are they not inspecting the bridge plate? Or is it part of the process but not strictly executed? I gather from the fact that I haven't seen any plates with bad tear-out that this is indeed a sporadic problem related to dull bits and inattentive workers. And by the way, please spare us all the moralizing about these factory workers. People are human and make mistakes, though of course none of you ever did.

What happens in the case of a lefty player ?

I can't check the inside until 6 months after I have placed an order

with Gibson ? If I were to find a potentially compromised brige plate

Would it be covered under warrenty ? Or would I be stuck ?

JC

Paranoia strikes DEEP!

Actually no ... I was just trying to point out that some of us aren't

lucky enough to be able to inspect the guitar before we buy it ... I have ordered quite a few gibsons

through Fuller's and this issue doesn't worry me at all

JC

JC,

You bring up a question I've been wanting to ask someone who knows and I imagine you certainly fit the description.

What happens if you order a custom guitar and it arrives 6 months or 6 years later and you don't like it? Are you stuck with it?

Anybody? Anybody? Buehler?

FMA

What happens in the case of a lefty player ?

I can't check the inside until 6 months after I have placed an order

with Gibson ? If I were to find a potentially compromised brige plate

Would it be covered under warrenty ? Or would I be stuck ?

JC

JC, I think you'd have to be sure to use a left-handed mirror.

[biggrin]

@fred yeah I need a lh mirror lol

@fma well that hasn't happened yet ... and I order stuff based on the looks so I am quite happy with what I have .

As far as the 6 years ...I assume you are talking about the master museum

I ordered it in 2011 around March ... Ren Ferguson left gibson by the end of that year and since then

He has juggled working at Guild and finishing his pending work at Gibson.

I talked to him at tge Namm show in January and he said he was making me a book

with pictures of every stage of the guitar and that he would personally fligh out

to Houston to deliver the guitar when done.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

JC

So, finally someone answered my question:

I received a call today from a staff member of gibson europe. He took a look at the pictures which he got from the dealer where I bought the guitar. He said, that this is normal, its nothing to worry about and I should play the damn thing.

So its official: I got no problem, at least not with my hummingbird. Still got enough other problems: state of world politics, kids walking all over me, weight problems, global warming, depression , just to name a few. But I guess thats none of your concern , eh?

Don't know if gibson still got any problems.

Like a well respected member always states:

Let's pick!

So, finally someone answered my question:

I received a call today from a staff member of gibson europe. He took a look at the pictures which he got from the dealer where I bought the guitar. He said, that this is normal, its nothing to worry about and I should play the damn thing.

So its official: I got no problem, at least not with my hummingbird. Still got enough other problems: state of world politics, kids walking all over me, weight problems, global warming, depression , just to name a few. But I guess thats none of your concern , eh?

Don't know if gibson still got any problems.

Like a well respected member always states:

Let's pick!

When I look at the picture of the bridge plate it seems to me that tear-out from adjacent pin holes has resulted in a groove or channel in between holes. This could have an adverse effect on function. It's more of an irritation than a showstopper but why should you have to deal with it? I would think that is a warranty issue and would pursue it - get it fixed or ameliorated or new guitar or some other benefit - if I had that guitar in the United States and I suspect I would get some sort of accomodation here. I don't know what your warranty situation is like in Europe. I suppose the service is contracted out or delegated to someone there, so you have to deal with them, not the same people I would negotiate with here.

Archived