Gibson Brands Forums

National Tricone track

BluesKing777

The original heavy metal guitars!

Ha!

I used to say that to people when I played my metal Dobro, no lightweight either! The case handle kept breaking and most of the time I carried it under my arm. Phew. I bought a new case for it like the National Resophonic cases and the rotten thing is like a mouse trap - I think they used a spring in the lid.

BluesKing777.

And I forgot to mention that a lot of the recent tracks I have posted are from stuff I have been learning from John Miller's DVD lessons.

I've had fun trying to play music on my National that's not usually associated with resonators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaVaJVunaW0

Thanks JT.

Sounds like a Greek borzooki player who got lost in the smoky mountains and lived with the lost Hebrews.....

If you want some more blisters, an interesting book with TAB is Guitar Atlas Africa and some others in the series by Banning Eyre. Lots of fun.

BluesKing777.

I have a question about tricones: is it possible to palm mute? Seems like it would be difficult.

You can mute it, but it takes a while to get used to moving your arm further along.

A lot of people remove the bridge cover, but you need to remember to put it back on before putting it in the case for travel. On the slower tunes, I just let it ring out, but it needs to be damped when adding alternating bass etc.

(And play way less notes than on a standard acoustic guitar.)

BluesKing777.

Brilliant stuff guys.BK - you have this down . just unbelievably good. Sounds like 80 years ago. Your knowledge of old blues is astounding also.

Hat seriously tipped

Thanks very much, BBG!

I have been going through a lot of John Miller's dvd lessons and wow, I look like a beginner next to him, truly. He has all the guitar parts down exact, pat, done every nuance that can be heard among the scratches on them old 78s. I have to do my own thing... the original is an acoustic blues, where I have turned it into a National Tricone thing with hats off to West Africa?

BluesKing777.

Awesome! Great picking AND singing! Love the low end on that tricone!

Thanks PS!

I have had the Tricone for about a year now. I tried it in the shop among all the new Nationals and it DID speak to me with a wonderful growly note that is in the recording above quite a bit! There are a lot of fancier shiny models that are beautiful and sound tremendous, but that spoke! And it was right!

BluesKing777.

Archived