Gibson Brands Forums

What Guitar?

houndman55

I have all three, I don't recommend the V, it is hard to play seated and it’s hard to get the higher frets at times because of the body design. The explorer is awesome, a real rocker, it has a growl to it, bridge pickup is real hot and as big as it is, it plays very compact, all the frets are right in your face, still a little hard to play seated, hangs great on a strap. The firebird is also a good choice, the neck seems longer because of the construction. I love the tuners, the pickups have a slightly more mellow sounding than the explorer, still lots of edginess there. With the neck through design it has a more lose feel to it, neck is a little more moveable because it is all one piece. Not as tight as the glue necks. Hope this helps.

If you can get used to the overall length of it, go with the Firebird. It's not an easy guitar to play, just so you know.

I'd take the Explorer over a Flying V simply because it feels like a more substantial instrument. I don't care for really light guitars but that's just a personal preference.

Archived