Gibson Brands Forums

What Strings for Gibson LPJ

clarky75

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions. I have not played guitar for many years and used to own a Fender Strat. I have now purchased a Gibson LPJ which I love, nice to play sounds great and I just love the guitar.

My first question is what gauge and what strings do Gibson put on as standard?

Second question is what strings do you guys find suits the LPJ, gauge and brand. The Gibson obviously is a different sounding guitar to the fender, so I am interested to hear what strings you guys use, I will replace the standard strings soon and just looking at what options I have.

Thanks

Clarky

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-Split-Coil-P-90s.aspx Info on Guitar I use with D'addario at least one of

D'Addario EXL110 XL Electric Guitar Strings (Regular Light, 10-46) they give a bright sound which works well with the LPJ it helps the muddy mid and bottom I love them and use them on several of my guitars.. mainly my P90 Les Paul Pro

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DADEXL110

*)o(* br toad

We use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky ....10-46....sound great...cheap in packs of 12 ($3.66/pack) at places like MF. I also like GHS' Eric Johnson Signature (10-50)...but they're pricey in single packs.

My son got a pack of Gibson Vintage Reissue (some raved about it)...and he found them so-so....no better than cheaper EB's.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2221-nickel-slinky-lime-guitar-strings--buy-10-get-2-free

Gibson LP's as far as I know are supplied with 10-46... [thumbup]

Choice of mfg is very subjective

The Strat scale of 25.5 compared to a LP at 24.75 can make a perceived difference to string tension

Rotosound IMO are a good working string at a reasonable price...

Some players go lower or higher gauge to taste

V

:-({|=

I think it is about roundwounds here only. In general, pure nickel wounds tend to producing a soft tone, nickel wounds (which use alloyed nickel) are brighter, and stainless steel strings have an upper midrange edge cutting through.

Compared to the wound ones plain strings vary just slightly, so the gap between plain and wound strings in tone and level may be a crucial part of the decision. Nickel wounds alloyed with chrome help reducing this gap.

I think you are likely to get as many different answers as you get answers about strings...

It's all subjective. As for what they come with, I've never bought a brand new Gibson so I couldn't tell you about that...

But I am partial to .009" - .042" on Les Pauls, and I'm very partial to Ernie Ball Super Slinky Cobalts on all my axes!

I would think they'd be great on an LPJ...

I use Ernie Ball slinkys of various gauges on all my electric guitars. My Junior has a set of 10's on it and I think that is a good gauge for that guitar...good tone, stable after they are stretched, and easy to play on that nice fat neck.

I would suggest you try Ernie Ball extra slinkys .008 gauge. I only use these strings and have had them on Fenders before, but with a Les Paul it brings out the tone quite nicely, as well as being very easy to bend. I've read a lot of opinions that these light gauges are floppy...which is not true IMHO. The guitar needs to be set-up for these strings like any other, that's all.

Email Gibson with your serial number and they'll tell you exactly what they put on. My LPJ was made shortly after Gibson switched from 10s to 9s, so I have 9s - 46s on mine. They wouldn't have been my first choice (I'm used to 10-46s) but I've stuck with that gauge and I'm growing to like them.

Strings...brands and gauges...are probably the most personal and subjective things about guitars. Really, the best thing is the use various brands or gauges over time and see what appeals to you. EVERYONE has different tastes and preferences...what is just right for me, might not be even tolerable for someone else...

Archived