Gibson Brands Forums

2014 SG Special

sjruvolo

Man am I GASing for a new SG Special in the vintage Cherry (in my price range). Does anyone have one yet and could you give me a review. The only thing I don't like about the new Special is the creme colored P/U rings and togle switch washer. That's any easy swap to black. Don't have much first hand experience with the 490r and 490t P/U's. They are being billed as hotter 57 classics, whick I have in my L.P. custom and love.

Man am I GASing for a new SG Special in the vintage Cherry (in my price range). Does anyone have one yet and could you give me a review. The only thing I don't like about the new Special is the creme colored P/U rings and togle switch washer. That's any easy swap to black. Don't have much first hand experience with the 490r and 490t P/U's. They are being billed as hotter 57 classics, whick I have in my L.P. custom and love.

I don't know who you have been talking to but a 57 Classic plus pup has relatively the same output as a 490t pup. If anything the edge goes to the 57 classic plus as being hotter and just slightly while that is the bridge pup for the 57 classic setup. If you want hotter you need to go to a 498t or to one of the ceramic mag pups.

[quote

I'm sorry I tried to watch those vids as painful as it was and there was no reference to 57 classic pups as far as I can tell. I know a lot of people like the 490r/490t pups in their Les Pauls because they are not overly hot pups. Check the output chart below for Gibson pickups:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/_gear/datasheets/Pickup_Guide.pdf

Hope this helped

Rewd

I'm probably in the minority, but i dislike all of the 2014 SGs and even the 2013 range. All these thin 60s necks, no pickguards, small pickguards, anniversary inlays, odd pickups covers, and poor finishes. It's all a matter of taste of course, so i'm having to look on the used market for a nice older version.

Interesting. I hadn't even considered an SG again, until the 2013 models came out,

with the SG "Original," '61 SG "Les Paul" reissue, with side vibrola, the Kirk Douglas

SG Custom, and my first one, back in December 2012, the '61 SG "Satin" finish. I had

resisted SG's prior, due to less beveling, and no horn tapers. Once they started

back to wider, and deeper bevels, and proper horn tapering, I couldn't, and didn't

want to resist, SG's, any longer. So, I went from none, to 4, in less than a year. [biggrin]

They've all been outstanding, in their own ways!

As to the 2014 models. Some are very interesting, and some aren't (to me). But,

I DO hope they'll keep up the better beveling, and horn tapering, of the early 60's

original SG/Les Pauls, on all subsequent SG models. So much nicer looking, and

better feeling that way. IMHO, as always.

CB

I had

resisted SG's prior, due to less beveling, and no horn tapers. Once they started

back to wider, and deeper bevels, and proper horn tapering,

Ok I just play them I don't know what makes them work, so what does that mean?

Then, you won't care, most likely, about the aesthetic's or cosmetic's of the SG,

as much as I do. Just it's utilitarian aspects.

Lots of players don't. But, if you'd have grown up at the time SG's were first

introduced, the beveling and horn tapering were a defining part of the original

design. Over the years, Gibson has cut back, and even nearly eliminated those

features, though still retaining the overall body shape/outline,at different periods.

In fact, until late 2012, and 2013...the only SG that had ALL those features, was

the '61 reissue.

Originally (early, to mid 1960's), the scarfing/beveling around the body was wider

(than those, from around 1968 and prior to late 2012), and the horns "tapered" towards

the points, due in part, to that wider body beveling and to deeper bevels between the

horns and neck, where the beveling went right up to the pickguard, especially on the

lower bout. Also, there was a angle, or "slope" on the back of the body, near the neck

joint, that contributed to the tapering, as well. Look at any early '60's SG/Les Paul,

and you'll see it, quite easily.

A lot of the new models, went back to the wider, and deeper beveling. Some have the

true 61 beveling, and other's have more on the back side, than the originals. But,

a lot of them have the horn tapering, once again, as well. For those of us, who love

the early SG aesthetic's, this has been a much welcomed return. For those who "just

play them," and don't care about such things, fine..."C'est la Vie!" [biggrin]

CB

Interesting. I hadn't even considered an SG again, until the 2013 models came out,

with the SG "Original," '61 SG "Les Paul" reissue, with side vibrola, the Kirk Douglas

SG Custom, and my first one, back in December 2012, the '61 SG "Satin" finish. I had

back to wider, and deeper bevels, and proper horn tapering, I couldn't, and didn't

want to resist, SG's, any longer. So, I went from none, to 4, in less than a year. [biggrin]

They've all been outstanding, in their own ways!

As to the 2014 models. Some are very interesting, and some aren't (to me). But,

I DO hope they'll keep up the better beveling, and horn tapering, of the early 60's

original SG/Les Pauls, on all subsequent SG models. So much nicer looking, and

better feeling that way. IMHO, as always.

CB

-

Hey CB

Got to hand it to you, that is quite an impressive SG collection that you have amassed. [thumbup] The one I wish Gibson would have made Lefty is the 61 Satin finish. That is one Sweet Guitar. I also feel that 2013 was quite the Renaissance for the Sinister Guitar. I have one question for you, why didn't you add a Standard to your collection? Just curious.

Ran out of money, and things (I was willing) to trade in! [biggrin]

Can't decide, if I'll get a "Standard" as they are so close to what

I already have, or...wait and see if Gibson will issue a USA version

of the SG Special, and Junior, that has the all those early '60's

spec's/attributes. My very first experience with an SG, was a '62

Junior! So, I'd love to get one, like that, without the extensive

"vintage" price tag. We'll see??! And, thanks, for the kind words,

regarding my current crop, of SG's. I (truly) LOVE them All! [biggrin]

CB

I'm probably in the minority, but i dislike all of the 2014 SGs and even the 2013 range. All these thin 60s necks, no pickguards, small pickguards, anniversary inlays, odd pickups covers, and poor finishes. It's all a matter of taste of course, so i'm having to look on the used market for a nice older version.

Hey, Hot Cake!

I bought a 2013 '50s Tribute, and the neck on this thing is nice and chunky—not thin at all. Yes, it lacked the pick guard, but that a relatively easy fix (see avatar at left).

Archived