Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Framus today

duluthdan

On a foray into Bend, Oregon today and stopped into Sunday Guitars, nice shop, nice folks. No Gibson's on the wall but they had 3 six-string and one 12 string Framus guitars. Have never seen one, much less played one. These things are a heavy construction build, screwed in pick guards, even a screwed in Bridge ! Sounded like a garage door with strings. Not meaning to offend any Framus aficionados , these are interesting to look at.

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/duluthdan/media/image_zps345b6332.jpg.html]image_zps345b6332.jpg[/url]

I should probably introduce myself as the above was my first post on the Forum, though I've been following it for some time now and enjoy the great music that members post. I owned the Framus a few years shy of 50 years ago. Within the next four years it was traded for a used Sigma Martin which in turn was traded for a Gibson Dove which I still own. Like some others, I'm an old guy who neglected the guitar while in the family and career phase of my life and returned to playing several years ago.

Countryboy... I doubt there's a guitar store at Spirit Lake nowadays - although Aster may have more info. It was a nice vacation spot circa 1955.

<grin>

A friend had a Framus 12 and classical - and yeah, I thought they felt a little odd compared to others. But in the early '60s I always figured that finding about any decent-playing guitar was something special anyway.

m

G...

Nope, the best guitar IMHO to have in a bar fight is a Strat or a Fender bass of some sort. They work perfectly using classical rifle bayonet techniques as were used before the current generations of military rifles. I don't care for the Strat and never owned one - but a Precision is a really nice instrument to have in a barroom band.

m

I'm glad Dan posed in a position to show it was Xbraced. You have to give Framus an extra point for that. Maybe it's not as potentially damaging in a bar fight, but much easier to swing, though useless as a bayonet. Don't forget, Milod, if you swing a big bat at our age you'll likely throw out your shoulder...or worse.

Swinging a club is far less efficient than utilizing bayonet technique.

Also a "big bat" is far less effective than a decent "baton" in a professional sense.

As in guitar playing, technique should be efficient rather than just "strong." <grin>

m

That brought back memories. My first acoustic guitar was a Framus. Bought new from a guitar shop in Spirit Lake, IA when I was 17.

JEffWittFramus_zps288e9431.jpg

I should probably introduce myself as the above was my first post on the Forum, though I've been following it for some time now and enjoy the great music that members post. I owned the Framus a few years shy of 50 years ago. Within the next four years it was traded for a used Sigma Martin which in turn was traded for a Gibson Dove which I still own. Like some others, I'm an old guy who neglected the guitar while in the family and career phase of my life and returned to playing several years ago.

Welcome here, Countryboy.

I think it's fine you returned to playing again. I never gave it up since 1979, actually play in three bands since 1986 as drummer and vocalist, since 1994 as songwriter, lead vocalist and guitarist, and since 2013 as bassist and vocalist.

Making music was the best thing of my younger years and seems to be the best thing now, although I thought sometimes there were better ones... More important things, but not always better.

Swinging a club is far less efficient than utilizing bayonet technique.

Also a "big bat" is far less effective than a decent "baton" in a professional sense.

As in guitar playing, technique should be efficient rather than just "strong." <grin>

m

You are wise beyond your years. Picturing a Monty Python-ish scene now, with a jabbing/thrusting tele, as you fend off drunks from the riser.

Actually it was a bass... And even at that point I'd done various sorts of combat arts for roughly 18 years one way or another. That was nearly 40 years ago so you might figure I'm not quite a kid.

I hope I've learned something over the past decades, and that I might continue to learn as long as I can.

It's not in any way a Monty Python joke, either. In my case the question was how much force would be required to bring the guy to cease and desist. Too much force brings too much damage and an almost-certain lawsuit.

As for swinging various objects... many of the cavalry sabers of the horse cavalry era weren't exactly fencing foils, and one had to learn to use them in such a way that one didn't destroy one's own wrist. That meant utilizing the weight and weight distribution of the saber appropriately either horseback or on the ground. The U.S. Model 1840 cavalry saber was referred to not affectionately as "Old Wristbreaker" by those issued one without training.

m

... was referred to not affectionately as "Old Wristbreaker" by those issued one without training.

m

Actually, perhaps without intention, you've just perfectly described the neck on this Framus guitar... "x" braced? Never noticed -this thing had like zero sustain, and instant and total decay. It was a Texan model, and apparently enjoyed some small measure of desirability, though I will never understand why. What a totally weird playing experience though. If you find one, give it a strum, if for nothing else than to experience the total vanishing of sound.

G...

Nope, the best guitar IMHO to have in a bar fight is a Strat or a Fender bass of some sort. They work perfectly using classical rifle bayonet techniques as were used before the current generations of military rifles. I don't care for the Strat and never owned one - but a Precision is a really nice instrument to have in a barroom band.

m

Ya I hear ya ,but I was thinking "Acoustic guitar venue" bar fight. [biggrin]

Archived