Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Framus today

duluthdan

We have one of course -- a 12 string.

Framus_zps0cf26d1f.jpg

Actually, it belongs to my sister who owned it since new. We have it because maybe 20 years ago we brought it home to see if it was worth anything, and sell it if it was. It wasn't, so it is still here.

Let's pick,

-Tom

We have one of course -- a 12 string.

Framus_zps0cf26d1f.jpg

Actually, it belongs to my sister who owned it since new. We have it because maybe 20 years ago we brought it home to see if it was worth anything, and sell it if it was. It wasn't, so it is still here.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Whoa. . .that bridge looks like it was built in a truck factory. Do I detect a Gibson mid-60s style porcelain saddle? What's the white stuff? No offense intended--I would guess if it ever lifted it would bring the whole top along for the ride. I understand porcelain saddles can bring a few dollars, but that guitar really should stay intact as a bit of history.

As for the imports of guitars...

In the '60s there was incredible demand, especially for folkie guitars. Harmony and Kay couldn't both keep up with numbers or match prices of the emerging WWII-devastated manufacturing elsewhere. That's only part of the story, but they went under.

Framus was one of the brands that put a lot of stuff into the US marketplace. Some of the "new" imports were decent, some were incredibly bad. I swear that some of it was made from orange crate woods.

Framus seemed decent, at least the ones I played.

m

I've had a few. A couple Texans (6 string) and a 12 string (whatever that was). I don't remember any warm fuzzies but I'm not recoiling in horror either. Kinda 'meh'. Most acoustics get a 'meh' out of me anyway. I bond with very few.

Now that I think about it though, there was one that was pleasant enough. It was a smaller bodied sunburst, maybe a 14" lower bout, maybe not even quite that big. It had an arched back like many Framuses (Framii?). It had a set neck as opposed to bolt-on. The sides were solid wood, oddly enough. I know this because it had a split on the treble side at least 15" long. I repaired it but it still showed. It was in my store in '85 and I think I sold it for $49. Actually sounded good! I know they made one model called a Gaucho but that's basically a smaller version of the Texan. No idea what model this was. I'm picturing a slotted head, no pickguard, 12 frets to the body, but yet meant for steel strings.

So they DID make a few good ones. Maybe not many.....

G...

Never saw a bar fight in an acoustic venue. Just rock/blues/country venues with booze involved.

BTW, I think I recall some 50 years ago about Big Joe Williams with a knife scar and a revolver. <grin> He was a a folk festival where I went to college. Some of those old guys in all sorts of music genres played for money electric or acoustic where I'd not care to tread, let alone play.

m

Whoa. . .that bridge looks like it was built in a truck factory. Do I detect a Gibson mid-60s style porcelain saddle? What's the white stuff? No offense intended--I would guess if it ever lifted it would bring the whole top along for the ride. I understand porcelain saddles can bring a few dollars, but that guitar really should stay intact as a bit of history.

The saddle is bone or ivory -- it is adjustable. It is forward X-braces and it has a solid -- if somewhat thick -- top. The back and sides are laminated maple. The neck is laminated -- lots of lamination.

Power was not a priority in the folk revival.

Best,

-Tom

The one I had lacked any sustain at all hence the trade up to the Dove (once I had the money). The head was kind of offset from the neck instead being angled like most every other acoustic I've seen. And there was that giant bridge.

I had my brother's old Framus here a few years - a 12-string orangecoal-burst with only 6 on.

A fairly precise built creature with very low action that made it cosy as reach out and grab-guitar.

There was a vintage ring around it - both look and sound-wise - which made me miss it when his son asked to get it back. . .

Archived